This Disappears When Logged In

Bio Vines?

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by Blitz, Apr 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blitz

Blitz Elite Member

What size Bio vines should be used for a bearded dragon? They come in small, medium and large. I would assume either medium or large, but you guys know more than I do, so...

2. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

beardies are terrestrial, not arboreal. They won't climb vines....

3. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

No vines are needed. Get some slate tiles or some rocks and "glue" them together in a platform/mountain type structure so they can climb on them (you can "glue" them together with epoxy or silicone).

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Bearded dragons DO like to climb, use a sturdy branch, and fix it firmly in place but be very careful the animal cant get too close to the heat lamp. And yes make sure you glue any tilles etc. together as Steve`s said.

5. Ahura

Ahura Elite Member

It is true that bearded dragons are terrestrial but they will climb. I am sure that if you have vines in the enclosure, big enough that he/she could sit on, he/she would climb on them. They will climb especially to get closer to a heat source.

6. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I don't know if they like to climb is the right wording...

They won't climb up a branch like an arboreal lizard would as in vertically but will like to climb and claw their way up a little bit but it needs to be flatter than an arboreal one would want/ need if that makes any sense at all. It is 4 in the morning... climbing up rocks or drift wood may work better

7. fire2225ems

Yes, they will work their way up to higher ground. Or even to the top of a BRANCH. However, they would be unable to climb a vine.

8. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I agree, give them a thick branch, shelf or taller rock to climb around on.

9. Blitz

Blitz Elite Member

Well, a bio vine can be used as a branch, really, as you can bend them any way you want. I heard that using real branches from your yard could be dangerous, so that's when I looked into this.

10. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

You can bake a branch if it is small enough to fit in your oven at 250 for 30 mins or so or soak it in bleach water to kill all the bugs and germs and such, in the tub, then rinse well and let dry out.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Blitz the bio vines are really not big enough in diameter for a dragon. You need something about as thick as they are wide. They don't climb like a monkey would but rather scoot up on their bellies.
    And don't look at the size of a baby but that of an adult. That little guy won't stay little long.

I have been using outside branches for years for a number of species..

12. fire2225ems

Branches can be much thicker and sturdier than vines. You will want something that is at least as thick as the beardie.

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

They cling to the side of trees and fences ( posts) I`ve seen them many times, as everyone`s said, vines aren`t thick enough, and you don`t want it looking like a "jungle type" habitat! Get a thick branch and fix it firmly in position. As I mentioned before, be very careful not to let him/her get too close to the heat lamps!. Will you put a couple of photos up when you`ve finished? Thanks!

14. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

My method for using outside branches is this.
    1. make sure wife isn't home
    2. using bow saw cut off desired branch
    3. visually inspect for any infestations of insects.
    4. place in terrarium
    5. take heat from wife for cutting yet another branch off the front yard tree.

Simple yet effective procedure I have used for many many years.
    Only problem is tree is getting smaller and I have to find another source for next project.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.