This Disappears When Logged In

Big Ruthveni

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by Jlassiter, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

Per a conversation Merlin and I were having.
    Here is my largest Ruthveni. This male was wild caught in 1983 as an adult by the late Lloyd Lemke.
    It is around 33 years old now and about 47 inches long or so per serpwidgets.

NewPicture1.png

Attached Files:

2. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

Also....My Tapalpa male is around 43 inches or so......

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

That's amazing, that is one long King, and a nice old age.
    How old do they normally live to be?
    Cool how that serpentwidget works!

4. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

I am not sure how old they are "supposed" to live....
    I do know they will at least live to be 33.....LOL

Truthfully...this may be the record age and length......

And I've been using Serpwidgets since the late 90s.....Back when I learned how to use a computer....haha

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Yeah, we didn't have computers when I was in school, learning is harder when you are set in your way. I guess we all have to advance with the times eventually. lol

6. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

Yep...there is a difference between being born before computers and being born after computers have been here....LOL

Now I am a full time computer geek....I sit in an office, behind a computer all day a work (between meetings).......hahahaha

7. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

Another good way to measure a snake is to get those clear plastic tubes and let your snake crawl into them, then measure.
    I am sure there is a technical name for them but I've used fluorescent light protectors before.

Venomous keepers/vets use these, or "special ones like these" to protect themselves from a venomous bite while performing any sort of veterinarian care below the snake's neck.

8. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I was 17 when we got our first computer! It took 30 mins to load a website it was so exciting!!

Wow he's huge!!

9. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

That's amazing! Thanks for sharing! :) do you ever feed him snakes?

10. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

No, I never have.

Ruthveni typically do not eat snakes. They are mainly rodent, ground nesting bird and lizard feeders.
    Getula are more prone to eat other snakes.

In captivity, Lampropeltis do just fine on a rodent diet.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Very impressive!
    You didn't happen to collect it near a nuclear power site or something did you?;)

As for how long they were supposed to live, everything I had read said 15-20 years!

12. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

LOL.....In 1983 in Mexico there were no nuclear power sites.....hahahaha
    All I can say is, there are exceptions to the rules...always...

Actually, all of the early Amealco Ruthveni imports were large snakes.
    I don't know why all the ruthveni species descriptions say that the record is 40 inches, but the typical average IS around 30 to 36 inches.
    Maybe the longest one found in the field was 40 inches.

And...I think most do well getting them to live over 15, but they surely can live longer than that.
    This guy is very old. He has cataracts in both eyes. I have to help him eat all the time by rubbing the mouse on his face.
    I also have to help him shed because with age his scales have dimpled (a common sign that a snake is old).

Have you've ever seen the aberrant, striped or super striped ruthveni?
    They are all decendants from this male.
    He actually bred 4 years ago at the ripe old age of 29, but I have not paired him up with any females since then.

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

No I haven't. Back when I got mine years ago about the only morph to be seen was the amelanistics.
    In fact my male was supposed to be het for amel.

14. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

I will have to post pics of some aberrants, stripes and super stripes up soon then...

The amelanistics were produced in 1987 by Terry Huerring from some Amealco ruthveni that Bill Gartska brought into the States.
    They were the VERY FIRST Amel tricolors ever.

15. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

He's a beauty and amazingly OLD!! Congratulations! That speaks volumes about your care and husbandry!!!

It's difficult to find a really accurate way to measure a snake's length. We measure the freshly shed skin (which fortunately is usually in one piece with our pythons!) and subtract 15%.
    It's not perfectly accurate, but as long as we do it the same every time, we have a pretty good idea of their growth rates.