This Disappears When Logged In

Big Mistake, What Do I Do Now?

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by DimitrisDaisy, Apr 26, 2011.

1. DimitrisDaisy

DimitrisDaisy Elite Member

I mentioned this in another post, but I had put some self adhesive tiles into my CWDs enclosure. Well, the heat lamps caused the adhesive to melt and start fuming. I didn't notice this until hours later and of course, I took the tiles out immediately!

Will my little guy be okay? :( I had no idea that would happen, and I'd be very upset if anything happened to him! I've only had him a few weeks but I've already bonded to him and I love him very much.

For now his floor is substrate-less. Is it possible to make these tiles safe in any way or are they completely no good? Because I liked the tiles in there, but I'd rather go get some new tiles if there's nothing I can do.

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I hope he's all right!
    You could try using ceramic/porcelain tiles, around here you can get them for .99 cents. They are easy to clean, and wipe down, and you can take them out for a big clean up!

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Not much you can do if he's not.
    But usually he should be ok once it's through his system. There is a chance of neurological damage but I wouldn't say it's likely.
    Don't mean to scare you but look out for symptoms of that.
    Maybe be safe and use a natural substrate.;)

4. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

I agree, watch him closely, hopefully it will be okay. :)

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Are you sure its the adhesive and not just the smell of the vinyl? If the floor of the cage is getting hot enough to melt the adhesive its too hot!

6. DimitrisDaisy

You think it was the vinyl? He was okay this morning, acting like his normal self. I did notice that the adhesive was soft and sticky like honey when I picked it up (before it was hard and less sticky). His temperatures are in the mid 80s during the day, hard to say if that's hot enough to melt the glue. But I'll keep an eye on him for sure, and I won't use those again!

7. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Are you using an Under the Tank Heater?

8. DimitrisDaisy

I was, (I wrote this in another post just now, but I'll write it again in case you didn't see). It was a heat cable, warm to the touch, and I could touch it without burning. It was just for heating substrate, but I unplugged it last night.