This Disappears When Logged In

big home for chondro???

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by fangsalot, Oct 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fangsalot

fangsalot Elite Member

ok ok so heres her enclosure.at night shes all over the place,she has 3 favorite branches that she likes to curl on during the day(one in the middle,and one on each end of the tank)she has a very healthy appetite.humidity is good,temp is good,im i one of the lucky guys that has a chondro that digs her BIG home?does anybody have first hand experiance with a chondro that didnt do well in a large,naturalistic enclosure? [​IMG]

2. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

It looks great!! Sounds like she's doing well in there. My baby chondros each have very large enclosures and are also doing fine.
    I think Merlin had a good point that it's not so much the size that causes stress, but the lack of places to hide comfortably.

It looks like your chondro has it all! Congratulations :)

3. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

I don't find your way of keeping your reptiles bad Andrea, what works for individuals and individual snakes is fine - some of our reptiles do better in smaller enclosures, some do better in larger enclosures. You have found that your snakes do fine in the larger enclosures, which is also fine. We all have to learn from our own experiences and learn to read our own animals - as with humans every animal is an individual. So, I would never criticise your way of keeping your reptiles hun, as i wouldn't expect criticism of mine. I can offer advice as to what we have experienced, as can you, and we are both right. What works for one may not work for another.

Also, I understand your desire to keep fewer reptiles in larger, more naturalistic enclosures, and perhaps we would do the same if we had fewer, I won't lie, however, what we do keep we keep well and in the right size enclosures, but regardless of how many reptiles we owned, if i only had our very large boa, I would still keep him on newspaper - it's not a matter of being lazy, it's mostly a matter of the fact that it would be time-consuming and expensive, and working a full time job doesn't allow for that. Heck, looking after the animals we have in the way they are kept is a full time job!! But, i wouldn't be without them!

In any case, back to the actual matter at hand!! :p - your set up looks really nice, and if your GTP seems to do well in there then that's great. If you do experience any problems, like feeding, just be aware that cage size can be a factor. But, good job. :)

4. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm not criticizing anyone's enclosure sizes or setups... I don't have tons of experience keeping various herps: just some snake experience (and not a lot there). I have NOT been the one to use the word "lazy" when referring to keeping animals of any kind.

I know that everyone who posts here has the best interest of their pets at heart and cares for them well. And Rachel, I know you and Joe are really dedicated to your animals and give them your best. I've never said anything against that.

All I've said is that large, naturalistic enclosures needn't be stressful to snakes: if they have proper conditions and hiding places. I'm not saying that smaller enclosures with newspaper are bad... just that they're not necessarily BETTER (or worse). Obviously snakes are adaptable and can do well in many different set ups.

I think Fangsalot has a nice set-up and if he (or she?) is able to keep the proper temp gradient and humidity and the baby is eating well: that's a great set up and he/she should stick with it... if any of the above start to be a problem: then it has to be adjusted. Great when it works out well though! :)

5. fangsalot

fangsalot Elite Member

thanx guys.and as soon as i encounter any problems(as far as feeding) first thing ill do is set up the best hiding spots i can create until shes comfortable,if that doesnt work,ill set up a smaller enclosure.thank you so much for your input guys,oh by the way blackjack im a "he" lol.

6. jshrad

jshrad Elite Member

The enclosure looks amazing. Do you have any larger pics of it?

7. fangsalot

fangsalot Elite Member

i dont have any bigger pics but will soon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.