This Disappears When Logged In

Best Way to Increase Humidity...

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by LunaticFringeInc, Jun 7, 2013.

1. LunaticFringeInc

LunaticFringeInc Active Member

In order to help Rich out...

I have had the 16 inch Brazilian Rainbow Boa for 4 days.

I currently have a 10 gallon tank with screen cover. Mainly got it as a temp enclosure since I bought the animal in California and needed to drive back home to Texas. Looking to upgrade to something much better soon, just dont have room for a vision cage. Cage currently has a medium sized deep water dish. Cage also has live spanish moss covering entire back wall of the 10 gallon tank. There are two hides one on the colder end and one on the warmer end. Cage currently located on counter top in my bathroom since that is the spot where I can keep temps the warmest and feel like I have the best chance of maintaining more consistent humidity without making the rest of the house unbearable.

Im using shredded Cypress Bark about 2 inches deep.

For lighting I got one red light and one day light witch has only one going at a time.

Temps are mid 70's on cool end high 80-low 90's on hot end. Humidity is fluctuating from 60-90 in between mistings with a spray bottle.

Havent fed yet but planning to Sunday. Animal was last feed a week ago today. Just got back in town last night and wanna let the little guy get over the stress of being transported and settle down a bit before feeding it.

Looking to get a better control on the humidity. I would like to keep it a lot more consistent than I can right now by using a spray bottle. I was looking at getting one of the misting devices from Petco. Do they work? Are they worth it? How adaptable are they to being used on various types of cages? Dont mind spending a couple of hundred to solve this problem if its something that will be effective. I would like something thats adapatable from one cage to the next as well to the extent possible as my critter grows and needs a larger enclosure.

This is something that I have constantly struggled with to one degree or another for the most part living here in North Texas. It was much less of a problem when I had a breeding pair that were in a walk in vivarium as opposed to using screen top aquariums. I would really like to hear what the more experienced here think about this issue and ways to better address it. Not above spending some fun dollars on an Exo-Terra enclosure too if this would be a better set up and help control the humidity levels as compared to a screen top aquarium.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The solution to all your issues is to seal up that screen top.
    That is where all of your heat and humidity is going.
    Simply get a piece of plywood or better yet, acrylic and cut it to fit the top and then tape around the edges.

3. LunaticFringeInc

Yeah I was considering that idea or attaching a piece of Formica to the screen top with holes cut out for the lights. Was just wondering if there were any other better ideas out there. Sometimes its good to get an angle from "outside the box" from others looking in. While I often have the answers, I unfortunately dont have ALL the answers, ALL of the time.

The up side this time around...Ive retired from the military, aint broke all the time, aint moving about the time I get my set ups perfected, so I got a lot more options this time around to explore. Just wanted to check them ALL out before I go about creating the perfect set up. The older I get the more I am all about working smarter not harder although many equate that to just being lazy.

This was an impulse buy for 50% off I stumbled into while out of town, so I didnt get a lot of time to really put the massive amounts of thought into it before starting this project. Had been thinking about getting into herps again and when I saw this guy for 75.99 and the good color it had, couldnt resist. So I am kind of behind the power curve on this instead of having a well thought out and tested plan of action before starting like I normally do. Just looking to get the most from this oppertunity!

4. Rainbowsrus

Rainbowsrus Well-Known Member

I always try and steer people away from glass tanks for BRB's as they simply are not the best solution. Best caging would be a plastic box style cage like those made by Boaphileplastics.com. A 321D would be perfect. Under tank heat, NO lighting, large surface area water bowl, appropriate hides and many substrates to choose from.

Since you already have the screen topped tank and would be a while to get a better cage, make the following changes...

PLEASE NOTE: Most of the changes I'm suggesting will also affect temperatures. You did not mention a thermostat so temps could spike up?

1) Cover most of the screen top with acrylic/lexan/plexiglass etc. By most I mean 95+% Ventilation is a major humidity loss and snakes really do not consume much oxygen so fresh air unless it's humid is not good for them.

2) Ditch the lights, BRB's are nocturnal and have no light requirement more than normal ambient room light through the window.

3) If the lights were your heat source, install a Under Tank Heater (UTH).

4) Temp controller - Minimum is a rheostat, better is a on/off thermostat, best is a proportional thermostat.

5) Wrap three sides of the glass tank in insulation. Reflectix (google it) works great. Be VERY cautious of temps with this mod!!

I have detailed care sheets on my website, please feel free to look them over and ask any questions you like. Either on forum or by direct email.

rainbows-r-us-reptiles.com

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would stay away from formica. There is no telling what sort of chemicals are in it that could be released by the heat. Stick with plain acrylic.

6. medusa1974

medusa1974 Well-Known Member

The best thing I could offer is to get a reptistat off Ebay. They run about $50 but they control your humidity and heat hook that to an under tank heater and a repti fogger and you have a fail safe system.

7. LunaticFringeInc

Thanks I will look into that. I already have a under tank heating pad so that simplifies that issue considerably. I was looking at the Repti-fogger as a stop gap measure till I can research things some more per chance there is something better out there. Using a spray bottle and spritzing the enclosure periodically works but thats gonna get old fast.

Thanks for the additional information rainbowsrus, some of those suggestions confirm ideas I already had planned to do, just got to impliment a few of them to help get some better consistency in the enclosure. There for a minute I thought I was the only one that had thought of wrapping 3 sides of the tank in some type of less conducive insulating material, nice to know I am not alone on that concept. I just happen to have some left over material from last summers project of blocking the light during the day while I sleep (most of my work is at night) and cutting down on the AC bill at the same time, that will work like a champ I bet.

8. LunaticFringeInc

Well after covering the sides of the tank with insulation the temps are a lot more stable and consistent and a few degrees higher. I covered the top with plexiglass, that was a little bit of help and kept the spritzing down to just occasional instead of regularly through out the day. Bought a Repti-Fogger too and that was the bomb! Dont know how long it will last but we will see. Turning that thing on for a couple of minutes a few times a day and 90% humidity aint even a challenge to maintain now. Now I am seriously considering that electronic controller for the Fogger and the heating pad in a most serious kind of way. Seems like it will be an investment well worth the cost.

Thanks all for the help!

9. emanresu

emanresu Member

Get a small digital thermometer and place it in the tank under the hide that sits on top of the under tank heater. Please make sure that it doesn't exceed 85 degrees in there..Too much heat is bad.

Also, that 10 gallon tank is going to be outgrown in a matter of months. I know that you said it is temporary, so that's fine. I would look into a 40 gallon breeder because that will last until the snake nears full-size. Once it is full-grown, a few years from now, you'll want to get a 75 gallon or greater. IMO. With a 40 gallon breeder you can get a large enough tupperware in there to maintain decent humidity with the top closed off with glass or plexiglass as long as you have some sort of pump in the dish to move the water around. With a 75 gallon or greater, you can section off a portion of the tank with glass and SAFE silicone and have a filtered water area with a submersible filter. This will keep your humidity very high. Just siphon the water out and add new water when it looks dirty. My BRB stopped soiling hers this year, interestingly enough.

10. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

For the same price as a repti fogger you can get a high quality human ultrasonic humidifier and pump it in with hose, pvc, dryer vent, anything really. It'll last you much longer for tge same price and you typically get a much bigger reservoir. I use one for my ig and always had 80-100 humidity with no misting ever. All I have to do is fill tge tank every 3 days.