This Disappears When Logged In

Best Substrate for Corns?

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by Dan01, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

Hello! I'm just wondering, what is the best substrate for corn snakes? I have mine on newspaper-based mammal bedding (though it also says it's good for reptiles), because that is what the guy who gave him to me had him on. Lately I have been thinking to moving him onto aspen shavings, but I don't know how much it would cost? It's $20 to change his bedding every once-in-a-while, and would it be more cost affective to use wood shavings (or mulch)? He is in a 40, by the way. Is there anyone else who keeps their snake on this same bedding? I'm just curios on people's input. There is no one anywhere near me who owns any reptiles, so sometimes, I get feeling really lonely. :( Well, I do have one friend, but he is just interested in turtles or giant monitors...

Here is the bedding he is on, by the way:

image.jpg

2. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

I use aspen and paper bedding for all my snakes except the carpet python. That one just has newspaper w/out the wood shavings, but since he/she hardly ever touches the floor it doesn't matter much. The aspen is easy to spot clean and allows the snake to burrow if it's deep enough, but really isn't necessary in general. I pay less than $3 for a small bag of aspen at Wal-Mart, that typically lasts a month or more.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have used aspen for years. And a word. DOo't get the little bag of "reptile" aspen. Go to the small animal dept.
    and get the compressed bales. It is much cheaper!

4. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

I do buy the compressed bales at Wal-Mart. I call those small bags compared to the larger bales of pine, cedar, or paper available. The lfs wanted twice that price for a much smaller bag of loose shavings.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The bags I am talking about are 2cu ft compressed, expanding to 4 cu ft. I think that the last one I got was 13 dollars.

6. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

Thanks for the feed back. I think I will change over to aspen bedding next time I clean the enclosure.

7. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Aspen Sani Chips from Pet360. A big bag lasts me about a year with 8 snakes in 32 qt tubs. It's easy to spot clean (think cat litter) so the entire bedding rarely needs to be changed. Just scoop out the poop and replace as necessary.

8. texasreb

texasreb Active Member

I too use the big compressed bales of aspen for my corn. FWIW, I like Petco's brand better than Pet Smart's. IMO, it is finer (more like the reptile shavings); less dusty and smells better.

Ironically, it's one of the few products that Petco carries that I find superior.

My girl is in a 40. I give her about 4" and change it about once a month. I mist it infrequently unless she's preparing to molt--then I mist it a couple of times a day.