This Disappears When Logged In

Best Substrate For Bearded Dragon

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Destiny, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I currently have sand as my substrate after learning how it can lead to issues I am currently looking for something and am wondering if someone could tell me if coconut husk (not the coconut fiber) is a good choice.

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Typically coco husk and fiber refers to the same thing. What are you referring to as coconut husk? The larger chunks?
    I have heard of keepers using the coco fiber, I believe it works well, just watch the humidity and keep the substrate from getting wet. This substrate has a tendency to increase humidity in the enclosure. Also if there are large pieces be careful your dragon doesn't ingest them, as that would cause the same issue as sand. Personally for this reason I prefer the fine particulate coconut fiber. But as with any particulate substrate there is some risk of impaction, but with a well supported animal with a proper setup and temps and humidity to support digestion, it is very very unlikely. How old is your dragon? Usually very young dragons are kept on tile, newspaper, paper towel, or something like that, because they like to walk around and lick things.

3. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Thanks for your information :) I'm not sure how old he is the person I Got him from didn't tell me he doesn't seem that younge but he's quite small Iv had him for about a year and he hasn't grown much. What would you suggest for a older dragon for a more natural look rather then newspaper etc ??

4. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

You could do a sand/soil mix (1 part sand to 4 parts chemical free clean topsoil), some would do straight playsand as an adult, and just be careful not to feed directly on the sand (It's an option but I don't like it much for obvious reasons), you can also do the coco fiber husk. Those are probably the most natural options.

5. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Awesome thanks for your help

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you give some details of the ambient (air) and basking surface temps plus the humidity range and what you use to measure all those, lastly a few photos of the whole enclosure including a top view? Thanks!
    Edit: I agree that a soil/playsand mix is best, make sure it`s well tamped down.

7. dp428

dp428 Established Member

I agree will soil/playsand. I use it for my Monitor and beardy.