This Disappears When Logged In

Best Small Turtle?

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by fishman007, Oct 15, 2013.

1. fishman007

fishman007 Active Member

which turtles stay smaller? stinkpot turtles or malaysian pink belly sideneck turtles? which are easier to keep?

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Stink pots are smaller but dirtier over all so maintenance is a big issue with them. The side necks can get fairly large but are more docile and cleaner so not such a hassle to clean up after. Either way you may find that water setups are a hassle to clean or expensive to maintain.

Have you thought of a box turtle? they are a land based turtle that could live in a tortoise table that was 4x4.

3. fishman007

fishman007 Active Member

For a box turtle, would a 2x6 work?

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

yes that would work.

5. fishman007

fishman007 Active Member

could you house 3 russian tortoises in a 2'x6' tortoise table if many hides are given?

i mean 2-3 box turtles

how about 1 russian tortoise?

6. fishman007

fishman007 Active Member

im sorry those were sent as 3 different posts, im unsure how to delete a post, i came to the conclusion wondering if a 2 x 6 table is good for russian tortoises? 1-3?

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Members are unable to delete posts. We do this because people have been known to post things and when something is said about it they would go back and delete the posts then deny that they said it.

And I was the one who combined the posts.
    When someone posts one post right after the other I combine them to clean up the site's look.

8. fishman007

fishman007 Active Member

Alright thank you very much, because I was confused, thats nice that the admins do this, do you know anything about housing russian tortoises?

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You'd be surprised at all the things that go on behind the scenes to keep this site running and looking like it does!
    Sorry,... no.
    I am more of a snake and lizard guy myself.

10. Zerp3D

Zerp3D Elite Member

Just like any site, it takes twenty-six hours worth of work a day. Sites are not easy to run, or maintain. Hence why this site/forum in particular is so amazing! Thanks, Merlin! (and the rest of the HC team!)

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

if you had plenty of plants, decor and hides and the basking site was in the middle of the enclosure then you could have 3 small box turtles (the ornate are the smallest boxies i know of) in a 2x6 enclosure (though having a 3x6 would be much easier to decorate and have a pond and yet still allow walking room for the turtles). Now you would have to make sure it was 1 male and 2 females which is fairly easy to do as male box turtles have red eyes and females do not.

However a 2x6 is too small for one tortoise let alone more. you need more like a 4x8 enclosure for a russian tortoise as all the tortoises do all day long is walk the perimeter of their enclosure and eat so they really need the room for exercise.

As with all tortoises and turtles you need to either have only 1 or you need to have 3 or more. Having 2 will cause an excessive amount of stress on them and it can lead to the death of one. I recommend having only one as these are not social creatures and they are much happier on their own. These types of animals only care about food and heat and having to share either is upsetting for them.

I have both box turtles and some larger species of tortoises so let me know if you want pictures for an idea of how each set up could be decorated or if you have any other questions.

12. fishman007

fishman007 Active Member

Alright, may I please have some pics of the box turtle setup?

13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

This is the 500g tank I have set up for them. It is a 9x3 foot print and has 3 different species of box turtles and an ornate wood turtle housed in it. Substrate is sphagnum peat moss and the hides are made from halfway buried flower pots. It has a small preformed pond liner on one side with an over sized filter to keep the water clean. I decorated the cage with random flagstones and rocks that I move around occasionally to give them something new to explore. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

14. fishman007

fishman007 Active Member

i made a sketch in google sketchup, i think its good, if i show you can you tell me what you think?

15. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yes of course.

16. fishman007

fishman007 Active Member

Does anybody know a way to seal a tortoise table, like which brand of sealer paint, or what plastics, could i use a pond liner and tape it with gorilla tape or strong tapee

17. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I would use 3-4 coats of polycrylic (brand name doesnt matter just look for the water based polyurethane). then you can a pond liner if you like and I would hold it on with silicone instead of tape as tape residue wont hold up over time.

or use several coats of rhino liner (like they use for truck beds) and you wont need the poly or the plastics. Just keep in mind this stuf stinks to high heaven and you would want to make sure its completely cured before filling the table.

18. fishman007

fishman007 Active Member

Could i use a pond liner without the polycrylic? I would prefer not to have to paint it and have the drying and fuming out process

or if i were to use minwax polycrylic, how many coats would i need?

19. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

3-4 coats of polycrylic.
    If you used the pond liner you dont necessarily have to seal the wood but make sure so seal all edges and folds with silicone because if water leaks through it can rot the wood.

20. fishman007

fishman007 Active Member

what kind of silicone would work with plastic liner and wood?