This Disappears When Logged In

Best Sealer For Enclosure.

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by sloogan, Oct 5, 2017.

1. sloogan

sloogan New Member

Hello! I plan on making a 8x4x6 enclosure for a Nile/water monitor. I need to know exactly what brand sealer to use (I hear minwax polycrylic is the best) and for the brand which species plywood would it best bind to. Thank you for the help!

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, water based varnish cures much faster than oil based although neither are effective for the bottom parts that hold the substrate, for that either epoxy resin paint or FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) sheets are required (the FRP is adhered to the plywood). I`ll show an example, the FRP is the white material you can see just above the top of the substrate... Can I ask why you`re building an enclosure that will only last a year or so, rather than making it the permanent ("adult sized") enclosure?
    aja2[1].jpg

3. sloogan

sloogan New Member

I have a 14x9 room being cemented in and cured into my basement but they’ve just started it. It will be for him.

murrindindi likes this.
  4. sloogan

sloogan New Member

I’ve looked at all home improvement stores and I’ve looked at many water based sealers. All of them seem to have a catch (high voc, high dissolved solubales, etc) could you name some brands off the top of your head it would be greatly appreciated!