This Disappears When Logged In

Best Rodent Food??

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by lizardhoarder139, Oct 13, 2014.

1. lizardhoarder139

lizardhoarder139 Elite Member

Hi guys, I have a VERY small mouse colony and want to make it alittle bigger. I also want to feed them much better than the dog food and mouse mix I have been feeding them.
    I know there is better stuff out there that isn't too expensive, I'm just not sure what it's called or where to get it. So I ask you, what do you feed your colonies?

2. Logan

Logan Elite Member

I can't remember the name but there's a company that makes lab blocks that are great for rats and mice. You would just want the lowest protein available, as rats need higher protein than mice. I feed my mice a mix of low sugar cereal, pasta (cooked or raw), veg scraps, rice (cooked because if not it may expand in the tummies). Some will even eat bugs. I tried mealies with mine and they just looked at me like I was crazy. You kind of have to tailor to each mouses needs. I've got some that get fat with some occasional protein, and then some that get skinny if they aren't always getting it..

Oh, and I do a high quality dog food. However, when I switched brands one of my ladies started scratching like crazy. It took my forever to put it etogether. I cut her and unfortunately all of her cage mates back to rice based stuff until she's better. Her back looked almost perfect after a week, but her face is still raw. Doesn't help that she's so active I can't get her to sit still so I can even wash it with saline on a qtip or anything.

3. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Harlan Teklad. They might not even have a low enough protein level for mice. If I remember right you want something between 10-14% for mice. Mazuri makes blocks too. The HT is used as a staple diet for rats and other stuff is 'treat' worthy.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I use Mazuri, 6f for my rats and ASFs. I know they make a mouse specific formulation too, but I'm not sure which one it is.

5. lizardhoarder139

lizardhoarder139 Elite Member

Ok thanks guys!! :D