This Disappears When Logged In

Best Pet Frog to Handle?

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by 13asilisk09, Oct 1, 2011.

1. 13asilisk09

13asilisk09 Member

Hey guys,
    So I've begun to really like my new dart frogs, and I'm even thinking about getting some more since having a couple fly cultures is so cheap and easy, and I have started to produce way more flies than I need! But something I was curious about is this. What is a great frog or toad that I could actually take out and hold? Are there any that are pretty calm and won't go hoping away if I take them out? Just realized that I'm really starting to fall in love with frogs :p

2. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Frogs just aren't too good to handle because they have such sensitive skin that absorbs all the nasty chemicals in our hands! Handling basically just shortens their lifespan quite a bit if done too often. I guess the closest to a more handleable frog would be a white's tree frog, but even then you want to keep it to a minimum, and get your hands wet(with no soap!) before you hold them!

3. 13asilisk09

13asilisk09 Member

ya, I literally go through a gallon of hand sanitizer and hand soap every month haha. When I say handling I suppose I mean just cup my hands and let them sit for a bit, or hop up my arm. Very similar to how one would handle arboreal geckos I suppose. Just think it would be cool to take out a tree frog and let him hop around a bit or let a pacman frog chill in my hand. I suppose there is no hope tho :(

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

A whites is your only bet. They will sit and chill with you. My one used to sit on top of my monitor, nice and warm and clean.

Don't use hand sanitizer, it has alcohol in it, which will dry out frogs. Best bet is just to wash with soap and water and rinse well.