This Disappears When Logged In

Best lizardy friend

Discussion in 'General' started by Brittone05, Apr 24, 2006.

?

Best Lizardy friend (read the thread to see criteria)

1. Bearded Dragon

36 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. Leopard Gecko

15 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Crested Gecko

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Mali Uromastyx

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. African fat-tailed gecko

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  6. Blue Tongue Skink

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  7. Water Dragon

7 vote(s)
    9.3%
  8. Green Anole

3 vote(s)
    4.0%
  9. Long Tailed Grass Lizard

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other (specify)

6 vote(s)
    8.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brittone05

Brittone05 Elite Member

What kind of lizard makes for the best lizardy friend, as far as cool looks, temperment, and ease of care go.

Just pick the one you'd most reccomend for a little kid starting off, but also that you'd probably keep yourself :).

I chose BD only because of the little kid factor!

Yes, they require more than geckos in the way of UV but they don't drop their tails, play all day, and then sleep when the kids are sleeping too.

2. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

I chose Leopard Gecko because of the ease of care and friendliness factors. Sure they can lose their tails, but with proper supervision, a kid won't be using it as a basketball or anything LOL. Lyn

3. Amber

Amber Elite Member

The best Lizardy friend would be water dragon, easily, but for a little kid/ beginner/ beginning little kid I would say Leopard Gecko.

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

I chose Leopard Gecko. Leopard geckos don't drop their tail for no reason. With proper handling and care a leo will never drop their tail. I have yet to have a leo drop its tail. (I own 14 of them.)

Bearded Dragons require larger enclosures, insects AND veggies, special lighting, and are larger. While they are not difficult to care for, they are more expensive and space consuming than a leo. For that reason I had to go with leo. (I own 4 dragons. )

5. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Water Dragon fo shizzle! They are the best :) very social and they may be hard to care for but its worth the work!

6. aiden_punx

aiden_punx Elite Member

i say it's gotto be a leo when i had two there was the easiest to take care off

7. Debbie

Debbie Elite Member

I would have to say the green iguana, just because I have never owned any other lizard and the iguana's are all I know.

But if I would have to choose I guess it would be the bearded dragons.

Debbie Iggy Bam-Bam and Miss Zak

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL THAT scuttles the green iguana right there!;)
    I voted beardie! Theres a bit more to keeping them but they are active during the day and a little less likely to be mishandled by little hands.

9. jmherp

jmherp Elite Member

Beardies all the way, little more care but LOTS more affection...

10. kremlinator

kremlinator Banned User

I'd rather give a little kid a blue tongue skink. They eat less than beardies (as far as expensive crickets and prey go) and they are super relaxed. Besides, Beardies are like cattle: Dense and spaced out half the time. Leos are alright, but they are so conformist...lol.

I'd totally have voted for cresties if not for the ease in which they get MBD.

11. Merlin

You obviously have never been, or seen anyone get, bitten by a BTS! Their jaws are designed for crushing snail shells! I think it was Fran who once described it as being like putting your finger on a table and hitting it with a hammer.

12. Mark

Mark Elite Member

I think I used much the same words about being tagged by an iguana. One of the sharp check-faced framing hammers is about the same as an adult ig. But that does not properly account for the large sharp teeth in the ig's mouth.

An ig makes a bad pet for anyone not willing to have a 15 year marathon and has a lot of space to burn.

Perfect lizard friend as I've come to want:
    The mythical dwarf iguana (no these don't exist in real life) -- green to orange yellow, floratarian, arbroial, small say 2 to 3 feet long, and this iguana will also have the temperment of a beardie.

13. McBlev6

McBlev6 Elite Member

I would have to say a leo or a AFT, I did alot of studying before I got a lizard and both are near the same, they are both kid friendly and not as aggressive, only if you mishandle and not supervised properly, and both just require proper heating and not have to worry about UV, and mine don't even bask just a cool hide and a warm hide! I think that is the kids best bet!

14. kremlinator

kremlinator Banned User

What better way to teach a kid to fear and respect a reptile than a bite from a bluey or an ig? Guarenteed after a single bite the kid learns not to be an idiot around the lizard again.

15. Merlin

Hold on there!
    We are not in the least interested in teaching someone to FEAR anything! Fear is NOT conducive to instilling a love of herps in a youngster. There's a BIG difference between teaching them respect and teaching them fear.
    A person that respects a reptile will be interested in it and give it proper care.
    A person who FEARS a reptile will grow up to be one of those with the attitude the only good reptile is a dead one.

16. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

I said crested gecko because they are in my opinion one of the coolest reptiles all around. They can be held by a child and don't usually bite. Though I'd have to say that Leopard geckos are up there with them and I don't know much about bearded dragons so I have nothing to say about those.

17. Mr. T

Mr. T Established Member

id say beardies as well. iguanas are definatly not for kids and water dragons are pretty hard to keep healthy. beardies are tough litle guys and have a **** of a personality

18. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Beardies every time - well, what else did you expect me to choose?!:D

19. SpindleHead

SpindleHead Elite Member

I've owned Water Dragons and a Green Basilisk, but now only have a beardie and a small house gecko. I would say beardies for sure, I have found him to be completely docile and easy to care for.

20. bobbittle

bobbittle Active Member

I'm glad to see not many people are picking anole's and uro's....don't think they are really easy to care for...=\

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.