This Disappears When Logged In

Best Feeders to Breed

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by SammieLee, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Makes sense.

2. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

It does make sense but it doesn't help me figure out there to buy from :/ back to google

3. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

My husband is at the pet store now getting a few mealworms and superworms to try. If Puff likes them I will try to breed :) Getting low on crickets so time to make feeders cheaper!!!

I think we will start a roach colony too....but it might take awhile to afford. Having to pay for everything and not being able to feed out of it I will have to plan ahead a little. If it wasn't so close to Christmas I would just do it but can't buy roaches over Christmas for the kids LOL

4. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

Don't you think they would love to unwrap some little bugs on Christmas? You can individually wrap adult dubia. What kid wouldn't like that??? :D

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I now know what I am getting my sister...she has a bug phobia.

6. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

LOL One of my kids would think it was fun to get roaches for Christmas... He is an animal lover. But the other 3 would not think it was funny. It would be fun to put nothing but bugs under the tree at first.... (insert evil laugh here) Being a parent is so much fun :) Ok so I wont really do that......at least not until they are older!! Now for the sister....I would love to give my sister roaches for Christmas. Picturing it now. Her freaking and throwing the box. Roaches flying everywhere. Who is holding the video camera??

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hey now just remember that a little while ago people were gluing little siver chains on hissers and wearing them as fashion accessories!
    Beats the heck out of the poodle in the bag bit!

8. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

I don't like them that much....lol I don't even think I will be able to touch them. But I know they will make it cheaper and I will always have live feeders so I will own them for the spoiled dragons. I also thought the phoenix worms would bother me and they don't at all. Now I've never had to touch them with my hands though. The meal worms ands super worms were kinda gross at first as well but I got over it........where did this person who will get near gross things like that come from? I have always had an issue with bugs. Now I pay for them.......my husband is right...I have lost my mind.. LOL

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I find Dubias much easier to handle than crickets!
    And I am a person who thoroughly detests the house cockroaches!

10. swbuda

swbuda New Member

Way past July, but I raise mealworms, (easy), and Dubia roaches.. Not afraid of bugs I hope..:-& I figured the Dubias would make me nervous, but no problems. After awhile they get use to being messed with..

11. swbuda

swbuda New Member

SammieLee, Dubias are not so bad.. I'm female, and I've learned to do it. The 'MaMa Dubias' are Awesome, :D MY beardies still like to chase crickets, too.. But, they get mealworms one day, salads, Dubias, crickets, (they don't seem to care for superworms), they LOVE, Butterworms... I just alternate their bugs with lots of veggies.. and hard-boiled egg-whites.. They are fat, just very healthy.. Hope this helps you.. (An add on: They also like baked or boiled chicken breast..)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  12. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

I should have beetles soon :) do I need to put something in for the beetles to hide in?? Like toilet paper rolls??

Will the beetles kill the other pupa I have in that container?? I just started with the ones we have that I had not feed yet so I don't have a ton.

13. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm assuming you're referring to superworm/mealworm beetles? If so, I find toilet paper rolls and cardboard egg cartons work very well.

As long as you have food and water for the beetles, they should leave the pupae and new little wormlings alone. They are cannibalistic, but it appears they do so out of necessity, not want.

14. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

Right now I have a carrot in there. What else should I put in there?? Will go add a toilet paper rolls.

15. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

I usually just add carrots and potatoes, and they seem to do well. Other things I've added with success are greens, butternut squash, mushrooms, Repashy Meat Pie...they really will eat almost anything that's considered food. I also have them on a layer of oats and bran at all times.

16. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

Thanks for your help!! They are on oats. I might add some greens later.