This Disappears When Logged In

Best Feeders to Breed

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by SammieLee, Oct 31, 2012.

1. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

What do you mean by extra victims? Dusting them before I feed them or giving them vitiams? They seem really easy. just trying to figure out if I want to pick up at the pet store or order online.

2. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

I used the same mesh that I used for the top of the enclosure and put two strips that cover the outside and inside of each entrance so that the nymphs and the adults can both access it with ease. It's hot glued so that they can't go under it and it doesn't move. It's worked great so far.

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I think you are questioning my post.
    And I think his is the answer: the lizards get their nutrients from the bugs. Well in order to have the bugs filled with those extra vitamins and such they need to eat a variety of foods to obtain them. A diet of oatmeal and potatoes, while it would sustain the bugs it roesnt gutload them so you should add other random veggies. So the bugs eat the veggies and store the vitamins in a sense. Then your lizard eats the bugs and gets those vitamins.
    You would still need to dust the bugs once a week with vitamins and more often with calcium.
    Does that make sense?

4. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

How often do u have to replace the egg crates? How often do u have to clean the tub? What do u do with the roaches while you are cleaning the tub? Maybe I should just ask how often will I have to touch them? LOL I hoping to start with 50 F 20 M and500 mixed.....how long before I could feed some? Or could I feed off the some of 500 and that not be a problem? what size tub would I need for a good colony for 2 dragons? A 2 year old and a baby? (2 year old should be here in a couple hours!!!) off to find out how much a two year old dragon should be eating :)

Yes makes a lot of sense....now could I add left overs that the beardie didn't eat along with some fresh or should I stick to fresh?

5. millerpj

millerpj Elite Member

Can earthworms be fed to a bearded dragon?

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

An adult bearded should have 75% veggies and 25% insects. Probably a cup or more of salad and 5-10 roaches depending on size. And you won't need that big of a container. 10-20gal storage tub should be plenty.
    What I do to clean is hold the egg crate to one side and top the container to the other until the food and gunk is on one side and the roaches on another. Then use a flashlight to scare all the roaches into the egg crates and use paper towels to scoop the food and gunk out. Of course I have a 5gal container and put the food on the floor. The water I have on a plastic lid so that is easier to clean.

7. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

Thanks for the info on adults....He had not eaten for a week and they had his lights off....they are breeders who are selling off some of the males. He seems very calm so far. He is up and looking around. I went ahead and turned a heat lamp on for him. Just getting him I really dont want him to be alseep. If he chooses to on his own that is another story but we will give him heat :) I went a head and gave him a little food (Ihope that was ok since he hasnt had food or heat in a week) He ate 6 crickets like it was nothing (that's all I took to him) Should I offer him more?? or just wait until tomorrow to feed him more??

I never thought about using a flash light to get the roaches to move where you need them. Great idea. Ill have to try it.

8. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

To the second post, Yes you can use leftovers from your beardies. Just make sure that you don't leave any fruits or vegetables in for longer than 24 hours otherwise they could start molding. Mold is deadly to roaches and could very possibly wipe out your entire colony. If you remove them after 24 hours there's not as high of a chance to get mold.

Now for the first post.

How often do you have to clean the tub?
    I clean the colony out once a month right now although I probably don't need to do it more than once every two or three months but when your colony gets big it should be once a month. Too much cleaning will slow breeding.

What do you do with the roaches while you are cleaning the tub?
    I have two 5 gallon buckets. One has tons of holes drilled in to the bottom that are big enough for the frass (roach poop) to fall through but not big enough for new born nymphs to fall through. This bucket is set inside the other then the roaches and poop are scooped in to it until there is only a bit left at which point I tip the tub on end and dump the rest in. After that I wash the tub out with water, replace the crates, and finally add the roaches back. They sit in the 5 gallon while I do that. If you were worried about them getting out during cleaning you can put them in something with a lid.

How often do you have to replace the egg crates?
    I haven't changed out the egg crates yet because I had read that they don't really need to be changed out every time unless they are flimsy from it being so humid or look dirty which mine do not.

I'm hoping to start with 50 F 20 M and 500 mixed. How long before I could feed some?
    I couldn't really tell you how long that many will take before you can feed out of it but the average number of babies per female is around 30 and the gestation period is around 30 days. They take between 3 and 6 months to go from nymph to adult. Those numbers are all affected by the husbandry conditions. Remember to never feed off your adult females though. You only need to keep a ratio of 1:5 males to females although some keep a lower or higher ratio so feeding off adult males is the best option. You really don't want to feed off too many before the colony is up and running so estimate at least 4 months before you can feed entirely out of it. The first month they may not breed at all due to stress although anything is possible.

What size tub would I need for a good colony to feed 2 bearded dragons?
    For my colony I use a 35 gallon sterilite tub. The colony will eventually get to the point that you may have more than you need to feed only 2 beardies although that will take some time.

9. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Sammi, you can breed phoenix worms...Phoenix Worms - Live Crickets Shipped Superworms Mealworms, Wax Worms, Phoenix Worms 30680

Dubia roaches are super easy and I hate roaches with a passion but these guys aren't like normal roaches ok? The nymphs almost remind me of a rolly polly kinda lol (the really small ones anyhow) and the larger nymphs and even the adults aren't really honestly that bad. At first when I started with Dubia I was like noooooo wayy am I handling those things but honestly now that I have them? There is no way in crazy I would go back to crickets. They don't fly, bite, can't climb, are really quiet, the little bit of smell they have isn't unpleasant really and they are cheap to keep and breed. They kinda almost remind me more of a beetle then a roach.

And if you dont like using the egg crates? You can use empty toilet paper or paper towel rollers too. Or a combination of the 2.

10. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

I would still use egg crates before toilet paper rolls. I originally had a couple rolls in there and they never touched them. It also doesn't give them as much space to use as the egg crates.

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

They don't like rolls because hey allow light in one end. You would have to fogger one end of the roll with thick dark paper.

12. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

Just keep the whole thing in the dark. If you have a closet that you can set the tub in that would help a lot. They flourish in the dark.

13. iRene

iRene Elite Member

I keep dubia with toilet paper rolls and they climb in them. If the box is dark they will be fine. Egg crate flat do give more climbing room but paper rolls work fine if you have them.

14. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

I will save both then :)

15. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

Best place to buy a starter colony... The one I was going to get sold out :/ I didn't get brave enough fast enough.

16. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

17. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Ok why is the site censored?

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The only reason that we have certain sites censored is they have tried to spam us.

19. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

So it is t that it is a horrible site that tortures animals? It's just that they are annoying?

20. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Spamming is spamming and we do not tolerate it.
    Whether it is inapproriate material or joining the site solely for the purpose of posting an ad for free advertising. Both will get you censored.