This Disappears When Logged In

Best Feeders to Breed

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by SammieLee, Oct 31, 2012.

1. iRene

iRene Elite Member

We do not breed dubia but we have never had one escape. The person we buy them from has also never had one escape. They are very easy to handle and can be slowed down by lowering their temperature. I think Missouri winters would be too cold for any that might escape to survive.

Mealworm breed very easily. Wax worm are also easy to breed. We have the first laying of eggs turning to moths now and laying the second generation. Wax worm are best as occasional treat but all reptiles we have also love wax moths.

2. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

Earthworms really? Have been wanting to start a worm been for years. They have nice indoor ones. Love being green and not throwing everything away :) if I get to start my worm bin I will have to remember this.

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yep. I had a compost "bin" but its now the hatchling tank so I have been debating restarting one in something else that I can also grow things in.

4. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

I am trying to get used to the idea .......Best roach chow to buy? I would like to buy it and not make my own at least for now.

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I have heard great things about Repashy's Bug Burger. I will be ordering that on my next food order. For now I just use flukers cricket gut load with fish flakes and cat food.

6. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

Sat day we are picking up a 2 year old male.... :)!!!! So a feeder that I can breed would be great now. Roaches are so expensive and I will still have to buy something to feed while I wait for them to be breeding enough to feed off them... My question is how many would I need to start a colony and how long would it take?? Is there a place to buy a good starter colony??

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Technically you only need 1male and 4 female to start a good sized colony within 6months i believe. What I did was go to a show and purchase 100 small-medium and 150 large roaches for a total of $20 and then I had a variety and within 3months the colony would have been established but I could still feed a bit. Well it didn't work out because the cage was too cold (74 avg temp) and they need something closer to 85 to breed quickly. Also I fed very heavily out of it for my CWD because he went on a hunger strike and would only eat roaches for awhile. I now have 46 sm/md roaches that are still growing at the colder temp just not as quickly so I will leave them alone and work on getting them better heat sources.
    What all this rambling means is that you need to set up the bin with adequate heat first then order 50 or so medium-large roaches and only feed about 3-4 a day to your adult bearded until the colony starts producing babies and then you can feed to both dragons. This should make it so that the colony is producing and yet not have you buying extra bugs for the adult. The baby would still need crickets or worms for a few months but it wouldn't cost more than what you already pay. I think that makes sense...

8. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

Heating? Can I use a red bulb? Will it melt the plastic? I'm thinking about a plastic tub with a screen in the
    I'd and putting a lamp on the screen. I know they like dark so I was think a red?? I have on I can borrow from another tank to try before I buy one.

9. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

I bought 200 mixed size and got an extra 69 overcount (110 small 80 medium 75 large and 2 adult breeding pairs according to the lid on the package they came in) for $45 shipped. This was 2 and a half months ago but seems like longer. The second time I cleaned the colony which was only 2 weeks ago I did a head count and was at 22 Adult Females 66 Adult Males 147 medium to large nymphs and 30 brand new nymphs for a total of 265 roaches. I probably have fed off more than 50 adult males though. There are at least two clutches of babies right now and I expect that to grow exponentially next month because of all the new adult females. I will try to get some pictures of the way mine are housed soon.

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

If you use the big storage totes with the screen on the lid the red bulb shouldnt melt the plastic. right now I have mine in the plastic critter keeper that I used for animal transport as it was all I had at the time. I made it pretty but it isnt functional. 061.jpg Once all my other projects are done I will be altering the rubbermaid container and using a red heat bulb to provide the heat needed. It seems to be what everyone else does and they have an abundant number of roaches.

11. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

I will be honest.....I really need to be talked in to this. I am pricing starter sets and just cant seem to be ok with buying still. I know my bank account will thank me for it down the road so I need to do it. Please please talk me in to this!!!!

12. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

I use flexwatt under mine, I would think that the heat lamp would certainly melt the mesh if you set it on there. If you intend to use the heat lamp then you need aluminum mesh like fish tank lids. Also, use a ceramic heater instead of a red bulb so it creates no visible light.

13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

can the flexwatt be used on the flimsy kritterkeepers?

14. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

I have a roll of aluminum window screen....I used it when I set up my cricket box so we are all set there. I have never used a CHE (my first one should be here tomorrow. it's for my bearded dragon though) I am trying to get am idea on cost before I jump in with both feet and have to by a bunch right then. Do they last a long time or is it something I will have to replace a lot?? Would the 60w be ok or should I go higher and get a dimmer?? I was told using a dimmer makes them not last as long...is that true?? It was a pet store that told me that so I dont know what to think.

15. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

I hate cockroachs. but when I saw mine they really weren't that bad! They don't really look like the common house roah-males do a little more then females. But they look more like beetles to me. And it will be worth it in the long run won't ever have to buy bugs-when the colony starts growing good!

16. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

The 60w should be fine and the average bulb lasts about 5years or 10k hours.

17. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

On the mealworm breeding I have a question....I already buy oat meal in 55 lb bags....so using they for breeding would be super cheap for me. Can I throw it in a food processor and use it? Also I was think the cheap plastic shoe boxes....3 is what I keep seeing. One for beetles, one for pupa, and one for mealworms. That seems easy enough. And carrots for moisture. Anything else I need to know?

As for the roaches I am still very confused about what to feed them. Most sites that carry roach chow don't say anything about what's in it.....so I have no idea what I'm feeding. But I don't know enough about what they need to make my own. I have cricket food left over....can they eat that at first if I get the roaches before the food comes in the mail? It's ghanns crickets chow.

I guess with the crickets what it comes down to is I don't know what they need so I don't know what to feed. Had the same problem when I ordered crickets and just ended up ordering what I could get with the crickets so they didnt starve.

This is so not cool.....I've been thinking about roaches all day..

Gut loading....what do you use to do this for roaches? Can you just feed them out of the roach colony and not feed anything extra? I'm thing of buying chow from the roach guy and then all add an orange and stuff like that when I have it in the house. What all fits can they eat? Also will add in my beardie left overs. Wouldn't want to waste anything :)

18. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Ok mealworms: no need to grind up the oatmeal just throw it in whole and they will eat it into a powder themselves. THe oatmeal is their food so you have to add veggie scraps for water and extra vitamins that your lizard needs. They don't need anything else.
    Here are my mealworm bins: image.jpg image.jpg
    I personally don't seperate the beetles larva and pupae into seperate bins as each colony is large enough and in large enough containers that I don't worry about cannibalism too much. I do feed pupae first as I don't want more beetles in each container. Hen when changing the veggies if I see worms of appropriate sizes to feed I go through and pick them all out to out in a small container with just oatmeal and I stick it in the fridge to make the worms live longer. Every four days I put the container on the counter with veggie scraps and leave it out overnight. This allows he worms to warm up eat and drink and hen back in the fridge they go. Here is the box: image.jpg it probably has over 2k worms in it at the moment and will last only a month.
    Roach and cricket chow is pretty easy: I use flukers cricket powder, fish flakes, veggies(whatever is starting to go bad), smashed cat food, and any stale cereal.
    You could make it completely homemade and use: oatmeal, cereal, veggie scraps, powdered milk, and catfood(or dog food this is mainly for protein)
    Several people have said that dusting with brown sugar or using oranges will make your colony grow really fast. I am about to clean my roach and cricket colony so I will take pictures of my set up(which is horrible) and the food I mix up.

19. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

Ive never actually used the ceramic bulbs so I really don't have a clue.

I think that the flexwatt on a dimmer will work just fine for a little critter keeper tub.

My roach chow mix was half of a bag of dog food that my dogs didn't like mixed with fish flakes, banana flavored cheerios, and dry milk powder. All that was blended up in a processor and then put in a big zip lock baggy. They seem to like it just fine and they are growing great. It was just stuff that I had lying around. I've been using it to feed the roaches and crickets for about 2 months and still have plenty left before I have to get more. The startup cost is a little high but once they are up and running in full swing which could take 6 months or even more depending on how many and what age you buy, you will never have to buy feeder insects again.

I put egg crates over the mesh to keep the light out but not actually block the air flow.
    PB030003.jpg
    This opening is probably way too big. I cut it twice and it's still too big.
    PB030005.jpg
    If you didn't know there were actually several hundred Dubia in there you would swear that it was empty.
    PB030006.jpg
    And a picture of my feed and water crystals. I put the date on it when I made it so now I know its been 2 months.
    PB030009.jpg

Attached Files:

20. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Question: how do they get in and out of your food dish?