This Disappears When Logged In

Best Feeders to Breed

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by SammieLee, Oct 31, 2012.

1. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

What feeders can I easily breed at home?? I have 4 kids so it must stay in a tub....I dont want anything that can escape. Also the lower the maintenance the better. (I know tubs will need cleaned) we have one bearded dragon and are looking in to getting another one.

2. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

Superworms/mealworms are very easy to breed, low maintenance, and don't escape from tubs.

Breeding Superworms

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I like mealworms better as super worms turn into stink beetles and as worms they are very fiesty which can turn some reptiles off them. But roaches, mealworms, and superworms are the easiest escape proof breeders. Earthworms would also work and could be a good addition to science/ecosystem classes if you turn it into a compost heap. Plus cuts down on your garbage.

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I agree, superworms, mealworms and Dubias would be the easiest!

5. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

I not liking the idea of roaches....they seem easy but I don't know if I can do it....I know it's a different kind then u find in your house but the idea is still gross to me. I also live in a duplexe so the idea that some might get out once and awhile....we are friends with are neighbors and if they found one they would harm me.... LOL I wouldn't blame them.

can supers be a regular feeder?? I know some worms can only be feed as a treat and I can't seem to keep it straight in my head :/

6. mld

No, supers should not be the only feeder! They are high in fat, plus variety is always best.
    Where do you live?
    Dubia's don't climb or fly, so no escapes unless you are dropping them!

7. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

A diet of only superworms can cause some serious problems. I had taken on a beardie for a short time that had been fed a diet of only supers and he eventually became constipated and then impacted. Their chitin content is higher than that of crickets, so too many fed too often will cause issues.

If you're looking for a "primary" feeder, crickets and/or dubias are your best bet, and for worms, silkworms. Superworms or mealworms, hornworms, and butterworms can be fed as regular treats.

Crickets are also fairly easy to breed, but you do have to make sure you have a large enough tote/container to keep them in to prevent the babies from escaping.

8. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

Right now we are feeding Phoenix worms.... I know I can't breed those and won't even try. He wouldn't eat crickets so they are out. I will have to talk to my husband and see what he thinks. If I were to breed one of those worms or even roaches ( most likely not but will look into more) are there starter kits I can buy to make it easy to start up??

9. mld

If you order your crickets in bulk on-line feeder store, they are cheaper, get 1000 at a time or less depending on age. But Beardies only need more protein when they are young and when older they need less and more staple greens.

10. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

I'm hoping in a few months we can go try crickets again but right now I have a tub of crickets that our baby won't touch. :/

11. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

I live in MO. Really none can get out??? I have read a few hints and I saw some people said they find a baby out here and there...,,.so I just thought that occasionally they could get out.

12. mld

As long as you are using a sterilite type plastic bin they will not be able to climb. You will want it to be long and tall with a screen in the lid for ventilation.

P4020001.jpg

P4020002.jpg

13. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

Ok I can not believe I'm asking this but how much does it cost to care for the roaches??? Food and bedding (if they need it)

14. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

No bedding, and I haven't spent anything but buying the roaches! I feed them stuff I already have and I don't need a heater because the room where they are-is heated. I just chop up veggies for my beardies and the roaches get the rest. Plus some dog food, fish food and un sweetened cereal.

15. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

I am looking in to super and meal worms now and was wondering....since I won't feed then all the time will I become over run with worms?? I could put tub in my closet for them but I would like to stick to one tub per breeder type if possible.

16. mld

Mealworms breed without needing to be forced, supers need to be forced to pupate;
    Mealworms that you don't want to pupate can be kept in the fridge, which will keep them in the larvae stage longer, where as supers need room temp and will not usually pupate until that are forced.
    http://www.herpcenter.com/feeders/39651-breeding-superworms.html

17. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

Is there a care sheet on the roach things?? I would also love to see more set ups.....it might take me a long long time to come around but since we are talking about getting a second beardie I thought I should try.

Also would love to see mealworm set ups.....I'm thinking of going and getting some from the pet store this weekend and trying it. I have never feed them to our baby but I know a lot of them that I have found on Craigslist say they like mealworms. (we are hopefully going to look at one from craiglist this weekend) I am not planning on them being the main feeder but I think they would make a great treat. I was against them at first because I have heard so many times to never feed them but You all seem very knowledgable and I believe you care for animals a lot....so since you say there safe I will try them :)

18. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Sum it up: dubias are cheap and easy. Mealworms will over run you if you don't feed the beetles as well. Super worms will not as they can't turn to beetles without your aide and can't breed if not a beetle, so if you have too many supers just kill off the beetles.
    Hornworms, silkworms, Phoenix worms, butterworms, and waxworms are near impossible to breed.

19. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

You can feed the beetlles too? That was going to be my next question. Do beardies like them?? Dubias.....maybe if I broke down and ordered some I would feel different....I don't know. Do they bother kids with asthma??

20. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Not that I know of. And I was freaked out with the dubias at first was we have always had roach problems here in az but they don't look like the common roach and are really stupid so i got over it.
    Yep you can feed beetles too just sparingly and I would only feed them to a well established adult as they can be kinda big. Though my littlest hatchling box turtle loves darkling beetles (they are from mealworms).
    My CWD hates beetles he will pick them up and drop them in his water and watch them drown, does the same thing to hornworms after he eats his fill.