This Disappears When Logged In

Best Cleaning Methods To Disinfect Used Tank?

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Bobbyd, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Bobbyd

Bobbyd New Member

Hi everyone,

I accidentally dropped one of the enclosures while cleaning it over the weekend so I had to buy a replacement. I bought a used 20gallon aquarium that was used for fish and I have researched the safest/most effective cleaning methods but just got a bunch of different results. Some say bleach is okay, some say Lysol is okay, others say both of those are bad ideas. I usually use water and soap to clean the enclosures but since it's a used fish tank I wanna make sure it's completely disenfected before I move my leopard gecko into his new home. I tried scrubbing with soapy water and then dumping hot boiling water in the tank. Is that okay or should I use something else? Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The standard is a 1 part bleach to 10 parts water. This used for cleaning both fish tanks and reptile enclosures.

Darkbird likes this.
  3. Bobbyd

Bobbyd New Member

Thanks! I gave that a shot just now. I'm assuming I just rinse and then towel dry? Should I let it air out before putting him in?

Thanks,

-Bobby

4. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

You can air out after rinsing well, or if you are worried about bleach remnants you can deactivate it with hydrogen peroxide,
    Or if you are just worried about bleach odor lemon juice should take the odor out well.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just rinse it well and dry it.

6. Marleynna

Marleynna New Member

I use dawn dish soap, vinegar, and water. I just let the tank air dry before putting anything back in it.

7. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

If I'm really trying to disinfect a cage, bleach and the hottest water I can get short of putting it on the stove. I also rinse with hot water, so long as the chlorine smell is gone your good to go.