This Disappears When Logged In

best brand of UTH

Discussion in 'Heating' started by Toadie78, Apr 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

I am very irked at the poor quality of the zoomed UTH that i had purchased when i first got my leos. I thought all UTH's were created equal. Im currently trying to decide what brand to get next to replace this Zoo-med one, and am looking for recommendations.

So far i have looked at Exo-Terra's HeatWave and T-rex's Cobra online but havent actually gone to petsmart or petco to look at pricing.

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

try using human heating pads,,,they work great and are cheap at wal-mart

3. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

well i have looked around and can get an exo terra heatwave from reptilesupply.com for 20 dollars including shipping.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Walmart beats it. Human type heating pads for around 15 dollars.
    And they have built in temperature controls.

5. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

hmm how would i attach it to the tank if i did get one? and are they really made to stay on constantly. My leo tank is on an old wooden computer desk so im trying to be careful with what i put on it.

6. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

we lay our tanks directly on top of the heat pad and have never had a problem. just start it off at low temp and monitor what your temp reads after 24 hrs. if it's too cool up it to med.

7. Brent Strande

Brent Strande Elite Member

If you are ordering, get flexwatt... very cheap and you can customize it to the size needed for the tank!

It's much easier to wire than I could've ever imagined!

8. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

Merlin, you are talking about these things?

9. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

I think for ease of use im gonna stick with the Exo-Terra Heatwave.

10. Merlin

Something similar but not as fancy. Mine do not automatically shut off.
    I have several that have been in use non-stop for years.

11. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,
    I too would have suggested the human pad, or the heat tape. I use both. I have flexwatt running through my rack and I use a human heat pad with one of my colonies that I recently created.

12. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

mines also sentimental,,my grandma used the !!!

13. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

What bout that Zoomed Heat Cable Stuff anyone every use that? What brand of Basking lamps do u guys use also?

[​IMG]

14. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

Ok i made my decision to go with the exo-terra heat wave and i have to say im not dissappointed at all it distributes heat throughout the pad and the pad covers the whole bottom of a third of the tank that it was placed on. I must recommend this when paired with a rheostat (which i have) or thermostat it rocks

15. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

When you guys use whatever kind of heat mat or pad you use (human or otherwise), is the tank up on something so that there's a space between it and the tabletop so that there's no actual weight on the pad, or is all the weight of the tank directly on the pad, with the pad literally sandwiched tightly between tank and table?

16. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

yes for the pad to work correctly there must be an airspace, most pads even provide the rubber feet to elevate the tank

17. Merlin

Mine (Human type) Have the tank sitting right on top of them. This includes sterilytes as well as aquariums. Of course since they don't run the length of the tank there is a small opening opening for air where the pad ends,

18. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

yeah i know what u mean Merlin. Im leery bout everything. lol the main thing i dont like bout herp UTH's is they are next to impossible to move safely to another tank and they are quite expensive. and for some reason i just cant bear to think to get a human one, all the ones i have seen have that auto shut off thing and cost like 1 or 2 bucks less than the herp ones. I am kicking myself now for not getting at least 15 gallon tanks for the leos but oh well, the 10 gallons are ample enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.