This Disappears When Logged In

Best (and Worst) Online Herp Shops

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by CTU2fan, Nov 17, 2014.

1. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Looking for advice on places people have had good and/or bad experiences with. In the pas I bought 3 snakes from LLLReptile and a snake and a lizard from a place called Reptile Shack which I don't think exists anymore. But I've since seen some complaints about LLL.

I'm not looking for anything super rare; it won't be a situation where I'm going to have to buy from shop X because they're the only ones who have a particular reptile for sale.

2. Killerdragon

Killerdragon Member

Best is LLL keep shopping there worst backwater reptiles

3. LillithTheSpider

LillithTheSpider Active Member

Yeah the worst is Backwater Reptiles. I have not had problems with LLL reptile and they are my go to place for feeders, supplies, and animals. I am not sure where these negative reviews are coming from...but in my experience they are great dealers.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

For me it all depends on what I need. I have not personally ordered from LLL or Backwater, though I have browsed both sites. I have yet to order a live reptile online. Mostly, I order supplies. Have not bought a herp in years, because rescues and castoffs have been filling up my time and cages. Still have a wish list though, and no one site has all the herps I want.

If I need feeder mice/rats/rabbits/etc, I go to Rodent Pro
    If I need new hides, I usually find them cheapest at reptilesupply.com
    Some supplies can be had on Amazon for a fair price as well.
    For Flexwatt and associated supplies, Beanfarm.com

Many supplies are purchased from local hardware stores: cage carpet, lamps, fixtures, etc.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Not a big fan of having live animals shipped, but I have purchased from Ben Seigal reptiles, both online and at their actual store in florida. I have also purchased from LLL, but only when they are at a show I'm attending. The thing to remember with them and BSR both is that they are resellers for the most part. That, and the simple fact that with such a large operation, your simply going to hear about more complaints because ofnthe sheer volume of business they do. Most of the time these places don't have any higher a ratio of complaints per order than anyone else, but all you see are the ones with issues. Now as for backwater, all I know of them is I have heard way more bad than good. But that is just me repeating rumor basically, so take it for what it's worth.

7. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Yea, I wish I could recall offhand what I'd read about LLL, I wasn't doing herps at the time, I think it was a discussion on one of the fish forums I used to check out. But I'd bought from them twice without issue.

Thanks for all the tips guys, especially the supplies and feeders thoughts since that was my next question, specifically a good frozen feeder source.

8. king1239

king1239 Elite Member

Bhb is a little pricey but they are great to work with

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I have been a loyal rodent-pro fan for years. If you wait for a good sale, you can get dirt cheap snake food, lol.

10. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

In the past I always used SAS for rodents (another place that seems to have disappeared). They were the cheapest. I'd occasionally get some less than pristine looking rats, but they weren't bad. I've looked at Rodent Pro and their prices look decent depending on how much shipping might turn out to be. And they have rabbits, just in case I should happen to accidentally stumble upon a large python cruising across the yard or something.

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

If I recall, shipping is typically $50/box, and they have an calculator tool to calculate what percentage of space is available in any given box - which is very convenient. The last batch I ordered was when they had a very good sale - many overstock feeders discounted, and $35 shipping. I should have ordered 2 boxes...

12. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

That's not bad at all. I will probably go with them or possibly Loxahatchee since they're down here in Florida, maybe I'll get a bit of a break on shipping with them.

Might even be cheaper just getting them at shows, too bad Daytona is only once a year.

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

You should have numerous repticon shows each year, depending on where you live, and how far you are willing to drive.

14. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Yea, Orlando isn't too far, and between that and Daytona that's 4 shows a year. Jacksonville and Tampa probably aren't worth hitting up.

15. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

There is also the FIRE expo, as well.

16. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Thanks, didn't know about that one. And Deland is very close.

17. MyImmortalWolf

MyImmortalWolf Elite Member

For feeders, I usually use Rainbow Mealworms. I get mostly superworms, crickets, and dubias from them, and I've never had more than 4-5 dead insects out of 250. The bugs are always very active when you take them out of the packaging.
    Their prices are very reasonable as well, and shipping isn't horrible expensive.

18. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

I was thinking about dubias but I've heard they're illegal here in Florida and I'd have to look into discoid if I want to do roaches. The question is do I settle for crickets or become a roach smuggler LOL

19. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Discoids are the only roach that is legal in FL. Their care is almost identical to Dubia roaches, but they breed slower.

20. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

I've just looked into the discoids. They also seem to be a bit more expensive to start with, probably because there's fewer breeders selling them vs. dubias. I will probably start them soon, try to get a colony established before I even get a lizard.