This Disappears When Logged In

Beginners checklist

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by rbl, Mar 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

Hi!
    I'm trying to figure out the overall cost involved in each of the recommended species. I'm sure that will be a important factor in the final decision.

After reviewing the HC caresheets for bearded dragons and leopard geckos, I made the following checklist of indispensable items to start. I chose by availability and not by brand. Recommendations on quality are appreciated.
    Please let me know if I'm missing something or if I have any redundant items.
    I have an old aquarium I will use until a proper terrarium is made or bought.

Thanks! =)

Gecko
    Lighting
    - Day
    Common lightbulb
    - Night
    Hagen-Night Glo

Heating
    - Under Tank Heater
    Hagen-Heat Wave (20x20)
    - Thermostat
    ZM RT 500R Thermostat/Remote Sensor

Terrarium & Accessories
    - Temp Meter
    Hagen-Rept-O-Meter
    - Humidity meter
    N/A (not available but I need one)
    - Substrate*
    Newspaper for now, repti-carpet in the definitive terrarium

Feeding & Complements
    ZooMed-Reptivite Vitamins 56Gr
    Calcium supplement*

Bearded Dragon
    Lighting
    - Day*
    Zoo Med’s PowerSun UV (light/heat combo, no need for Hagen-Repti Glo 8.0)
    - Night
    Hagen-Night Glo

Heating*
    - Thermostat
    ZM RT 500R Thermostat/Remote Sensor
    - Under Tank Heater - might be needed to keep temp at night
    Hagen-Heat Wave

Terrarium & Accessories
    - Temp Meter
    Hagen-Rept-O-Meter
    - Humidity meter
    N/A (not available but I need one)
    - Substrate*
    Newspaper for now, repti-carpet in the definitive terrarium

Feeding & Complements
    Vitamin supplement* (without phosphorous, with Beta Cerotene instead of vitamin A) (recommended brand: Herpcare)
    Calcium supplement* (without phosphorous, without added D3) (recommended brand: Herpcare)
    Water dechlorinator (recommended brand: Reptisafe)

* updated
    PS: this seemed the right forum to post, if it isn't, my apologies.

2. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Although I'm not sure of the total costs, I would like to make a few suggestions to your list.

1. You have a decent vitamin supplement for the leos as far as I know, but you need a seperate calcium supplement too. The same holds true for the beardie, you need a calcium supplement.

2. Your beardie's vitamin supplement doesn't seem right. From what I can find, its an electrolyte and D3 supplement. For the shear fact it has supplemental D3 in it, I wouldn't even use it. That's what the UVB lights are for. To provide D3 the natural way. The beardie needs a new vit and a cal supplement.

3. The heating and lighting need some tweeks on that beardie too. The Reptiglo 8.0 should be fine, but the 2.0 is unecessary. If you buy it it'll just be a waste, plus its not the right amount for a BD anyway.

3.5 The second part of that is that you have the wrong sort of heating for the beardie. Rather than a UTH, for a basking species like the bearded dragon, a heat light would serve your purpose much better. The UVB lights won't provide the heat needed, so add a house bulb to the list. If night temps are too cold though, you'll still need the UTH too.

Just some suggestions ;)

3. rbl

1- Noted!
    2- Ok. No more trust in product captions =)
    Do you have any suggestion?

3/3.5 - This is one of the things I was having with most doubts: the right light/heat array!
    All UV needs are covered with that 8.0, great!
    Do you recommend a light/heat combo like the Hagen-Day Glo Tight Beam or do you think it's better to separate both and use a regular light and a Repticare Ceramic Heat Emitters? This last option would allow to turn the light off at night but keep the heat on.
    Would that work or would it need also the UTH? We are having some "cold wave" temps lately and temperatures at night are going bellow zero although it's not common.
    If you have a better combination, don't be shy! =)

Thanks for your help Furryscaly! =)

4. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

lol, do you know what the caption says? Most of the info I could find was in a different language, but the english I did find said it was an electrolyte and D3 supplement. Definately not the same as a vitamin supplement.

Oh, and make sure when you're getting vit and cal supplements that they don't contain any phosphorous. I personally use Herpcare http://reptiles.cl/catalogo/images/prov25.jpg for my guys. Whenever available, get a vitamin supplement that has Beta Cerotene instead of vitamin A, and if you can find a calcium supplement without added D3, I'd go for that too.

If you can get a self-ballasted mercury vapor light, that would fill your need for both heat and UVB in one bulb. Otherwise, you'll need the florescent UVB and an incandescent heat bulb. For heat at night, as long as you can provide the right temps, I don't think it would matter if you used a CHE, infrared light, or a UTH. Since they don't bask at night, the source of the heat shouldn't matter as much as it does during the day. Being a basker, they respond to light almost as much as heat. A light bulb does a better impression of the sun than a UTH ;)

Oh, and you should also get a water dechlorinator. The chlorine in tap water is even more harmful to them as it is to us. I use Reptisafe. Don't forget to think of substrates too.

5. rbl

I've updated the list with your recommendations. I suppose the Gecko also needs the water dechlorinator, is that right?.

Nevermind! The caption was ambiguous enough to fool an half asleep newbie =)
    I've made a mental note to avoid assumptions after a couple of yawns ;)

As for night heat, and without knowing if they will sleep on a branch or on the ground, I'm afraid that the temperature difference between cage and room is going to be a kill. They need nothing lower than 70F and making an educated guess, I think the room temp is half of that.
    Following the simple principle that heat raises, an UTH is probably the best solution.

Substrates! I have forgot to add to the list. For now, newspaper will have to do. In the definitive terrarium, I want repti-carpet. No risk of impaction and visually more appealing.

6. rbl

Humm... this can't be right! Glancing at both lists seems that beardies have a much higher "starter" price but my product lists only differ in $15 USD!

7. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Beardies typically sleep on the ground, but they're known for finding creative ways to catch some Zzz's, so you never know where he'll fall asleep :p Newspaper should be an ok substrate. Paper towel works too, and doesn't have any ink in it, though for an arid lizard ink shouldnt be that big a problem. Slate is also safe, flat, and looks pretty natural too. Oh yeah, the dechlorinator is for the leo too ;)

Hmm, yeah, that $15 difference doesn't sound right. Beardies need larger enclosures, UVB lights, and have a more complex diet. The beardie should be a lot more than the leo.

8. rbl

Slate will look rather nice indeed. Must watch out for sharp edges though.
    This is probably a silly question but does bottled water need to be dechlorinated? I won't mind giving them bottled water since thats what we drink.

I must ask a store to give me a budget for each list...

9. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Bottled water should be fine, as is filtered water. Tapwater and distilled water are not though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.