This Disappears When Logged In

beginner snake?

Discussion in 'Pythons *General*' started by charmander, Nov 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charmander

charmander Member

i really want to add a snake to my little animal family. originally i had always first though of ball pythons, but after working in a petshop and being snapped at alot and almost bitten in the face, i'm not so sure. maybe they were just very stressed. i have alot of experience with reptiles and other animals, but what would you reccomend as a good beginner snake?

2. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Corn, king, rat. Balls are good, but not really a starter for one they can be picky eaters. Mine have struck at me once due to my hand smelling like a rat lol. The petshop ones were most likey stressed and smelled rats.

3. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

must it be a python? Well as for ball pythons....they are actually known to be very placid snakes...the ones you dealt with were definetly stressed and most probably wild caught. If you purchase a ball python that is captive bred and eating very well it would make a fine pet! Mine has never snapped at anyone ever! You must be warned though...i would not recomend them as a first snake, but if you must...just be warned they are known to be problem feeders..going on really long fasts for no reason. But i love them tho

A corn, king snake, brown house snake would be a really good beginner snake. But if you really want a boid...BP are good if captive bred and eating f/t.

4. charmander

charmander Member

thanks for the suggestions.

nice AFI signature :)

5. venus

venus Founding Member

Looks like Dev and Nate covered that question, lol. I agree with corns. My first was a ball python but learned the hard way about them being picky eaters, going months without eating and stressin me out :)

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ball pythons are great snakes and very docile. I let my grandkids handle mine and they have never struck. The snakes must be very stressed.
    BPs could be a great first snake if not for the erratic eating traits. The first winter drove me crazy. My male stopped feeding in November and didn't start up again until May. If you think you can deal with fasts like that I would say go ahead and get one. They are a great sit around the house and chill out snake. The colubrids such as a cornshake are wonderful beginers snakes as well. In fact it is probably the best first snake. However they are a bit squirmy and much more active and physically more delicate than a BP. Bps are hefty and corns are thin little worms. If you lay them down and take your eyes off of them they are GONE!
    The choice pretty much depends on what type of snake and what behaviors appeal to you.

7. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

haha merlin said it! I was not gonna...but i have to confess...i do not like corns lol. Ball Pythons rock!

but as for the easiest snake to keep for a first snake...corn snakes...they have to win.

8. Merlin

Actually Dev, I keep both corns and BPs... And love both species.
    Depending on what sort of mood I am in I have snakes to actively handle or snakes to just hang out with.

9. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

well i have kept kingsnakes, house snakes etc....but for me prefer the lazy fat ball pythons lol... corns are cool snakes, just not for me. They are definetly the perfect snake to start off with!

10. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

Corn are more active as babies and harder to hang on to. Our baby ball just sits in your hand or curls around your wrist. The baby corns you have to have two hands on at all time as they try to escape. Our 3-4 year old corn will just curl around you arm and be content. I wish all my corn were adults LOL.

11. Merlin

But even as adults some corns will retain that squirmy always on the go attitude.
    Some of mine do.

12. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

i love my corns, my snow was my first snake and he's very happy to sit in my lap under a towel and just hang out for as long as he wants. my younger one likes to explore but does have moments where he'll just hang out. i also have a rosy boa and he likes to go off food for the winter and that drives me crazy sometime s but other than that he's very mellow and loves to hang out. :D

13. aztec4mia

aztec4mia Elite Member

so what exactly are you looking for the calm deamener of the bp with a side of finicky eating or the energetic corn or king that just cant seem to stay still, keep us posted on your decision and if you get the chance please post some picks of the lucky one you get.

on another note chances are those balls you handled were wild caught it seems to be a trend in the smaller pet shops, a good price for a bad temper, i traded my corn in for a ball, good thing about colubrids is they are really afordable even for the real neat looking morphs, albino, banana, luecistic, etc..compared to pythons or boas, good luck and keep us posted.

14. UroTamer

UroTamer Active Member

Re: best starter snake

I must confess ignorance of all but Corns. Until recently I had never considered a snake period, I'm 46. When I did I had a friend on the net offer to send me a WC Corn for the cost of shipping. I've had it about 4 weeks now and it's a great snake to have. You offer food, it eats. You want to handle it, no problem (90% of the time anyway, it gets cranky if I wake it up sometimes :) but then don't we all LOL) I agree that they do like to escape too, so you have to pay attention to them if they are out. For a first time snake owner I'm thrilled with it!!!

Kenn

15. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

Now you have burst my bubble. :eek: I have been waiting for our yearling to settle down a bit, she doesn't like to be handled, so don't even think she will sit quietly for any period of time.LOL The other two are still hatchlings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.