This Disappears When Logged In

Beginner, Diurnal Lizards?

Discussion in 'Geckos - Other' started by CrazedHoosier, Aug 18, 2017.

1. CrazedHoosier

CrazedHoosier Active Member

That's not what I said. I never said one thing about putting either lizard on repti-carpet. I said I would prefer a lizard that could live on repti-carpet, but never said anything about putting a skink on repti-carpet. Sorry if I wasn't clear before, but hopefully you can successfully read this time, and understand what I truly meant.

2. CrazedHoosier

Wow, they do look quite interesting. Can they really use sand as a substrate?

3. Taterbunny

Taterbunny Member

I think you technically can, but it's not really recommended too much, since they can get impacted still.The best substrate for them is shredded aspen. ^^

AmityReptiles likes this.
  4. CrazedHoosier

I thought it was a bit strange that one of the first substrates recommended was sand. I would personally rather use aspen, anyway. I love how they look like bearded dragons. What would be a good place to look at care for them?

5. Taterbunny

Taterbunny Member

Yeah, I personally would not go with sand, the risk is too great for your babies.
    They're fairly new on the scene, so there's not wide spread info on them yet. However, honestly, best thing to do is just search steppe runner care, look at as many sources as possible for info, and decide what you think is best for the reptile based on the care guides.

6. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Do you mind me asking where you heard that aspen shavings were the best substrate for them?
    A soil and sand mixture would be fine for a steppe runner. They come from dry grasslands with plenty of sand. Wild steppe runners don't get impacted and die from ingesting some sand here and there, impaction is usually a secondary issue caused by poor husbandry which makes the animal unable to pass the substrate it ingests.
    That being said they seem to fit the OP's criteria in that they are rather small and docile.

7. Taterbunny

Taterbunny Member

I just read it in care guides. :'D A few mention mixing soil and sand too, probably works just fine.
    They do seem like a lot of fun, I wouldn't mind having one someday. ^^ Lots of research first though!

8. CrazedHoosier

Wow, that was some great information for a beginner reptile owner! Yes, the steppe fits what I'm looking for in a lizard quite well.

9. CrazedHoosier

That's what I've done for my current geckos! Like in life, diversity is key! Thank you so much for informing me about these amazing little guys. Now all I need to do is to decide between it and the gargoyle gecko!

10. MantidBro

MantidBro Active Member

Curly tails are diurnal and can be handled, some will chill out but if they get nervous they'll fly across the room haha. I think it depends on the individual, lizard-wise. Also on the handler of course. But I have two and they'll chill on my arm as long as I don't get too antsy.