This Disappears When Logged In

Beginner, Diurnal Lizards?

Discussion in 'Geckos - Other' started by CrazedHoosier, Aug 18, 2017.

1. CrazedHoosier

CrazedHoosier Active Member

I'm still thinking about what my next reptile should be. Originally, I decided the gargoyle because of its ease of care, and docile nature. Now I sort of want to look into diurnal lizards. I don't really know many other than the bearded dragon. I don't want a bearded dragon because they're common, and a little too big for me. I'm looking for an animal about 8-14 inches long, and pretty docile. Should I stick with the gargoyle, or are there other possibilities for me?

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

You already have a crested and Leo correct? Are you looking for a display animal or something handleable? Why diurnal?

3. CrazedHoosier

Yes, I have a crested and a leo. I'm looking for a handleable lizard. I want something that is awake with me during the day since I already have 2 other guys who are asleep during the day. Also, I've never done a heat lamp, and I really want to for some reason.

4. AmityReptiles

Maybe some kind of skink? Fire skink or blue tongue skink?

5. CrazedHoosier

I love the fire skink! I think the blue tongued skink is a little too large. What size of enclosure does the fire need?

6. AmityReptiles

7. AmityReptiles

So 30"x13"x13" is minimum

8. CrazedHoosier

I do love the fire skink, and the enclosure size is great for me, but I'm not a huge fan of loose substrate. I've always loved repti-carpet!

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I think it should be more about what the animal needs rather than what you like, reptile carpet is quite awful, much better to use something more natural!

10. CrazedHoosier

I didn't mean to say that I was going to get a fire skink and put it on repti-carpet. I meant I would like an animal that could live happily on repti-carpet.

11. CrazedHoosier

What about the crocodile skink?

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Most skinks like to burrow, at least under the surface even if not very deeply, you are preventing them from exhibiting their natural behaviour by using reptile carpet which seems to be more about what you prefer than what`s best for the animal? A layer of leaves will allow more natural behaviour, as will a particulate substrate.

13. CrazedHoosier

I'm sorry to get kind of rude here, but can you not read properly? I just explained that I would like an animal that CAN live on repti-carpet. I never once said anywhere that I was going to put a skink on repti-carpet. I would NEVER put what I want before what an animal needs, and I take it personally when someone accuses me of it.

14. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Yes, I can read perfectly well, first you ask about the Fire skink then the Crocodile skink, both deserve better than reptile carpet....

15. Taterbunny

Taterbunny Member

If you're looking for a small diurnal lizard that's easy to care for and tames really well, maybe look into a Steppe Runner. They only get about 6 or so inches and aren't skittish like most small lizards. They can be kept in a 10gal, but 20gal is recommended per steppe runner. I don't think they can be kept on reptile carpet though. Worth a look anyway. :)

16. AmityReptiles

Like A red eyed crocodile skink? Those are very cool, but alittle more difficult and fragile. If you want to, go for it, but I wouldn't consider this a beginner lizard.
    As far as reptile carpet goes, I don't know of any diurnal lizards that do well on that; atleast that I can think of. In my opinion substrate is easier anyway, (you can't really clean reptile carpet). it's probably less of a hassle than you are thinking, and far cleaner to use something like eco earth.
    If there are any concerns or questions you would have about using a certain type of substrate I'm always happy to help! :)

Qwerty3159 likes this.
  17. CrazedHoosier

Thank you so much! I do have a question, though. If bearded dragons don't do well on repti-carpet, what is the best substrate for them?

18. AmityReptiles

As far as bearded dragons go personally I like to keep them on tile as young lizards, reptile carpet might do, but tile cleans easier... then when they get alittle older they can switch to a sandy soil mixture, or something like that if you wish to provide them a more natural environment. But opinions on this very wildly.
    My statement was based on the fact that you said you didn't want a bearded dragon, so I was excluding that.

19. CrazedHoosier

It was just a random question. My cousin has 2 dragons. They used to be on repti-carpet, then she switched to sand. I wouldn't think they would do great in just plain eco-earth. The tile and sand/soil mix sounds a lot better for a dragon. Anyway, I'll probably end up getting the gargoyle gecko. As I read more on them, the more I like them. I do like skinks, but I don't quite have the time or space for them, at the moment. But thanks for all the help! I'll probably need more as my crested and leo grow!

20. AmityReptiles

No problem!

CrazedHoosier likes this.