This Disappears When Logged In

Beetle Heads in Worm Box

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by annalisa, Jan 27, 2014.

1. annalisa

annalisa New Member

can someone tell me why there are like hundreds of beetle heads in my meal worm box? only heads. i never find live beetles and im in the box everyday. there are a few hard black wings maybe 10 but like 100 head no bodies.

2. trentsim

trentsim Member

maybe they are half developing then the soft tissue is rotting away or something, I have no idea thats weird. Sorry

3. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

might of turned cannibal on eachother? I dunno...

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

How are you keeping them? Sounds like the worms are eating the beetles. Something is off.

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yeah it seems like they are being eaten by the worms. if you could put pictures of your set up and a brief description we can help you solve the issue so that they will start colonizing.

6. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

were you throwing any other food items such as fruits or veggies in there with them...... maybe they were hungry?

7. annalisa

annalisa New Member

i have the 3 drawer plastic container on wheels from walmart about 3 ft high. worms beetles pupa. im thinking maybe they were under the oats and i didnt see them maybe the worms got them first it is weird

8. Merlin

When I raised mealies, most of the beetles would be on top of the bran wandering around. Are you giving them anything for moisture?

9. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

the best thing I heard of for moisture and correct me if im wrong is to mist a little and also keep a wet sponge in it for them to drink from.......

10. Merlin

No. Misting them will cause the bran to mold. Placing a bit of potato or carrot in the tub is the way to go.