This Disappears When Logged In

Been Bitten by a Hognose?

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by graduationxday, Sep 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. graduationxday

graduationxday Elite Member

I'd love to hear about it. Haha.
    I'm doing a project on the affects of hognose venom on humans for the science fair at school.
    It's going to end up being a big big deal.
    It's like, five hundred points. Haha.

But yeah. It would be wonderful if you have, or know someone who has been bitten by a hognose and would be willing to tell me about it.
    It would also be amazing if you had pictures or any kind of recorded data of the bite you'd be willing to share.

2. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

I've heard there's been debates over whether or not their venom is actually venom or just saliva. What ever fact is actually right, their bite is supposedly similar to a bee sting and they are rear fanged, meaning instead of having their fangs in the front of the mouth like a cobra or a rattlesnake, a hosnose's fang is in the back of the mouth.

3. graduationxday

Yeah, I've done alot of research already, and read and been told plenty of different things.
    I emailed a breeder and asked if he'd been bitten, and he told me scientists have decided they aren't venomous.
    But my history teacher who breeds hognoses, among other colubrids, said he's been bitten once. And I was talking to his son about it and he said his hand and arm went somewhat numb.
    But he could have been exaggerating, I don't know.
    lol, I'm tempted to let one bite me so I know how it is firsthand, but I'm not about to do that. Haha.
    Plus, I really think they'd disqualify me from the science fair if I harmed myself in the research process. lol

4. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

Yeah probably a bad idea haha, even though their bite shouldn't be life threatening you could have an allergy and it could become life threatening. So it's better off not to get bitten all together.

5. graduationxday

Exactly. lol.
    So I'm trying to find people who have already been bitten.
    And I'm trying to find data online I can trust.
    For the project, I have to have AT LEAST five peer reviewed articles.
    Ugh. lol. I don't know where to look for research records of reptiles.
    Ideas?

6. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

7. graduationxday

Thank you :]

lol, I don't find snake research a pain.
    I think it's fun.
    I wanna go into herpetology as a career, but I'm not sure what kind yet for sure.

8. graduationxday

I liked that page.
    I found it when I was searching for stuff.
    All the other things say something different.
    Gah, it's so confusing.

I emailed some breeders to ask if they'd been bitten, and one guy told me it'd been decided they weren't venomous at all. So I really dunno.

9. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

Ha, researching snakes isn't a pain I agree, but usually in my school I have to do projects on things I don't find any interests in at all. I got to do one project on my geckos in 6th grade but since then (I'm a sophomore now) there's been absolutely nothing haha. You're lucky you get to do the project on something you like. Hope you have good luck and find everything you need.

10. graduationxday

Thank you. I'll need it lol.
    I'm a freshmannnn. This is also my first year in public school. Really intimidating when you've been in a tiny private school all your life. Haha.
    It's also an IB school which is a fancy way of saying smart kid magnet school.
    So all my teachers expect a lot from us...
    My biology teacher wants us to do our project on a question that hasn't been answered yet. It's pretty darn hard...
    But the hognose debate is something that is, as far as i know, unanswered, so yeah.

Can you think of anything else that's unanswered that I could do a relatively short term project on?
    This is gonna be the whole first semester of school. But I've had people say stuff like "answer why garter snakes hybernate en masse" and I can't really do that one.
    I'd have to wait until winter to start, first off. And that's pretty much when it's due. lol

11. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

Well one thing that I think is unanswered, that kind of goes with the garter snakes hibernating in mass is baby snakes never hibernate with the adults as no yearling are seen in these swarms so no one knows where they go for their first winter. But other than stuff like that the only unanswered thing I can think of is whether big-foot exists or not haha, but I don't think that would work for you haha. Sorry, if I think of anything though I'll let you know.

12. graduationxday

Thanks anywayss lol.
    Can't believe nobody else has replied. :/
    I need informationnnn!! haha

13. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

hognose snake bite

There ya go. :)

Let em gnaw on your finger a while, you'll find out soon enough.

14. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

Wow, that looks bad.

15. graduationxday

Yeah it really does.
    Haha, it's cool though.
    And that makes it pretty obvious that there is a venom.
    I sent an email to who I think is the person that wrote the article.
    Well, the email that was on there anyway.
    Hopefully they'll email me back and give me permission to use their information.

16. graduationxday

Ugh so something happened and now I'm not working with my partner and he already did what he needed to do with hognose venom, so now I'm on my own and I have to start from scratch.
    I can't think of ANYTHING to do.

The snakes I have at my disposal [[Mr. Clayton has them and I can work with them]] are corns, bulls, peublan milks, and hognoses.
    Anything neat I could do with any of those?

17. Ashuresque

Ashuresque Elite Member

Haha good luck with your project girl. ;)
    Unanswered snake questions might be hard to tackle in a school project, as the reason they're unanswered is probably because leading herpetologists haven't been able to figure it out..

18. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Do a mythbusters style of project. You know bust some herping and snake myths.

19. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

Maybe you could do something about snake genetics as corns and milks have a great variety of morphs and color phases. Or maybe something about how milk snakes are coral snake mimics. Hope you have luck on the project.

20. graduationxday

Thank all of you for your ideas :]
    But last night my mom made me figure something out cause the preliminary research is due tomorrow.
    So I thought of three different things, then narrowed it to one.
    You know how people say that most of the left handed people are artistic?
    I'm proving that true or false.
    Personally, I think it's false, but we'll see I guess.
    I'm probably going to end up posting the questionnaire on here for people to answer, but under general discussion. That's not against the rules or anything is it?

It's not near as interesting as something that would have to do with herps.
    But I gotta do it on something and my mom made me pick last night.
    Doing a project on herpetology would be great, since that's what I'm planning on going into as a career. If not that, then art. Then under that, math teacher.
    That's what I'm wanting so far. I have plenty of time to think about it, lol.
    I'm only a freshman. :/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.