This Disappears When Logged In

Bearded Dragons

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by GobyMaster11276, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Hello again. As some of you might know, I am interested in adopting a dragon. Previously, I was considering a rankin dragon, but after some research have decided on just normal beardies. So I have a few questions: is a 4ft*2ft*2ft enclosure suitable for a full grown one? Also, what are the main differences between eastern and central? Thanks once again.

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, I`m not sure P. barbata are available outside Australia? I used to keep them back home in Oz...
    They are slightly larger than P. vitticeps but the captive care is much the same.
    I recommend an enclosure for one adult P. vitticeps of 5L x 3W x 2.5 H (feet). Many people believe that a 4 x 2 x 2 ft enclosure is all they need, I think bigger is better.

GobyMaster11276 likes this.
  3. Okay, 5*3*2.5. I will definitely be getting P. vitticeps. Can I put the vivarium in front of a window (that's the only place I could put something of that length)? Or would I need to paint the back, as with an aquarium? Thanks.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

In front of a window can be problematic.
    Sunlight falling on the tank can cause it to overheat
    And in cold weather drafts can also affect it.

5. So would there be any way to prevent this? Would a thick curtain behind it be alright?

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That should work. Just keep a close eye on it.

7. Okay, thanks.

8. Now I have a few more questions. For the recommended enclosure size above (150*90*75cm), how large does a heat mat have to be (does it need to cover the whole base, and how powerful)? Should the general light (UV) cover the entire length? How strong should the heat lamp be, and how large? Should I have a water thing for the beardie to dip in? What humidity, ambient temperature, and basking spot temperature do they need? Thanks.