This Disappears When Logged In

Bearded Dragons and Carrots

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by NowAndNever91, May 24, 2010.

1. NowAndNever91

NowAndNever91 Elite Member

I just read on a website that reptiles don't really absorb vitamin A, and that feeding Bearded Dragons carrots(which is high in vitamin A) should be avoided because it can cause Vitamin A toxicity.
    I was just curious, but is that true? If it is then does that mean I should'nt feed my beardy carrots anymore?

2. MMWC

MMWC Elite Member

From what I have learnt is that it is true they can get Vitamin A toxicity, but you can feed them carrots but only seldom.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You might read on a website that cows can jump over the moon too!;)
    Sorry, couldn't resist!
    Actually if you consider what that is saying,...it shoots holes in its own statement!
    If reptiles could not absorb vitamin A,...How could they have a vitamin A toxicity?
    Reptiles, and other animals, without access to vitamin A would not last long!

Granted, vitamin A toxicity is a reality, but it has nothing to do with carrots. What carrots, as well as several other orange vegetables, contain is beta carotene, That is the precursor for Vitamin A.
    In other words the beta carotene is digested and vitamin A is produced by the animal's digestion. They will only pull from it what they need.
    Thats why the better vitamin supplements contain beta carotene as opposed to just processed vitamin A.

4. MMWC

MMWC Elite Member

Good point, Thanks I have learnt something too...

5. Merlin

No problem. That is one of the problems with websites. Any one can put one up and say anything. They take a bit of information, misinterpret it, spin it around and relate it to something entirely wrong and then spread it all over cyberspace.

6. NowAndNever91

NowAndNever91 Elite Member

Hmmm, that does make a lot of sense :D lol
    Thanks for correcting that Merlin!
    I trust the information I get on this site more than I trust information on other websites, that's why I wanted to check.
    Once again, thank you!

7. Merlin

You are most welcome!