This Disappears When Logged In

Bearded Dragon .vs. Leopard Gecko

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by GumDrops, Jun 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GumDrops

GumDrops Active Member

Which do you feel make better pets?

2. venus

venus Founding Member

3. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

Re: Bearded Dragon .vs. Leopard Gecko?

It depends on what you want. As Marsha said, both make great pets and are very handleable. A single leopard gecko can live it's entire adult life in a 20L tank (30X12X13) while a bearded dragon needs a minimum tank size of 50 gallons (36X18X18). Also, Leopard geckos are nocturnal while bearded dragons are diurnal. Because of this, it is necessary for the life of the bearded dragon that he gets UVB for at least 12 hours a day. Because Leopard Geckos are nocturnal, it is not necessary for their life cycle to have UVB light unless you are planning to breed. However, unless you have an albino, the UVB won't hurt him as long as it's a low frequency such as 2.0 or 5.0 I hope this helps!

-Jen

4. DragunzGirl

DragunzGirl Active Member

That is hard to say cause I love them both, but I have noticed geckos are a little harder to care for but than again dragons need a large tank.

They are both very nice pets I breed leopard geckos and will be breeding dragons next year.

5. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

I think it really depends on what your looking for in a pet.
    I think Leo's are easier, but Beardies tolerate more handling.

6. Ashuresque

Ashuresque Elite Member

I guess I'm a little biased, but I love beardies. For a long time I was in a lot of conflict about what my first reptile would be, and though the housing can get expensive, I will never regret getting Fitzgerald.

7. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That is wrong. Over exposure to UV can have an impact on the vision of the leopard gecko regardless as to what output the light itself has. A 12 hour cycle, breeding or not, could blind a leopard gecko if he couldn't get completely out of the rays.

The only time UV is ever suggested for leopard geckos is when a petstore is trying to sucker the new owner into spending money they don't need to, or when the leopard gecko has an advanced case of MBD. In the MBD case, the UV is only suggested to be on for 3 hours in the AM and the leopard gecko is to have a means to hide from it completely.

I don't know a single breeder that uses UV with leopard geckos for breeding purposes. (I know a good handful of breeders.) I myself have been breeding leos now for almost 10 years and I have never once used UV.

To date, there are no studies on UV impacting leopard geckos in a positive way. They can absorb D3 through their prey and supplements, so UV (other than making D3 naturally and faster) would serve no purpose to them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"IF" I had to choose between keeping one or the other species, leopard geckos would win every time. I don't have to choose, so I own both. lol

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I disagree. When you factor in everything Leos are much simpler to care for than beardies.
    Smaller cage, no UVB lighting, very simple diet requirements since they eat insects and you don't have to learn all the right types of greens, fruits, and veggies to feed.
    The only drawback is they are nocturnal.

9. venus

venus Founding Member

I totally agree with Merlin. When it comes to care, requirements, size of enclosure etc, Leos are way more simple.

10. leopard gecko

leopard gecko New Member

I think that leopard geckos are the best animals ever but, then again I have mine sitting right next to me smiling.

11. Bigtyny

Bigtyny Active Member

I see something you guys have missed. Now, it has happen only one time for me, but leos can and will drop their tails if they get scared. But, I do go with most of what is said. I don't think leos should be held a lot during the day. Dragons are a good pet. For your first time you should get a 6 month old or older. I raise and breed both so if it were me I would go with the dragon. You will see more of it. I don't like petco or petsmart, but both have deals on set ups. When you get the uv light take the plastic off in front of the light. UVB and UVA gets filtered if it goes through glass or plastic. Hope this helps.

12. tuffgi2001

tuffgi2001 Elite Member

My personal opinion would have to be Beardies. I have had leopard geckos and as much as I love them, they are just not nearly as active IMHO. Beardies just seem more fun to handle and have more personality. Then again, you may want something a little less active that also eats less and requires less space. I have a 55 gallon cage for my 2 Beardies, and my Geckos didn't need something nearly as large.

Good luck with your decision.

13. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Yes, leos will drop their tails when scared or if someone grabs them by it. But, they will also regenerate it, and it won't cause any lasting health problems for them.

14. Bigtyny

Bigtyny Active Member

A carrot tail dropped its tail, and when it regrew, it was not a carrot color any more and looks a little funny.

15. tuffgi2001

tuffgi2001 Elite Member

One would imagine it should gain the correct color over time.

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Not necessarily.
    Many lizards can drop their tails and when it grows back it looks different than the original one.

17. Bigtyny

Bigtyny Active Member

It has been 5 years, no change, but he is a good breeder, my friend now has him. He breeds about 8 to 10 females a year and all of his babies are 40% to 60% carrot tail. I mean the how much of the tail sorry but when I kept reading carrot tail info I was thinking it was 40 to 60% of the patch was carrot tail not trying to confuse anybody.

18. tuffgi2001

tuffgi2001 Elite Member

That's a busy leo.

19. leah_freenote

leah_freenote Member

I have to agree with those that said Leos are easier to care for. And mine are incredibly active. Even when I had them in tanks by themselves they were really active. And mine love being held, I hold them at least every other day for an hour or so. And it's adorable, they know when it's feeding time because we feed them around the same time. That and I think they've gotten to recognizing what containers crickets and worms come in! :p

I've just now gotten a few beardies, and let me tell you it's been tough. I've been going though tons of different fruits and veggies to see what they like and don't like (of course only those that were suggested by a friend who breeds them) that and getting the proper tank and light/heat set-up was a little expensive. But I have fallen in love with them I have to say! :)

Edit: And just to note I have 6 leopard geckos, and have had 4 others in the past. Not one has dropped a tail. So I don't know how common that is. I sure haven't encountered it at all.

20. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

I would add this to the discussion: if you have children around, I would recommend a beardie over a leopard gecko. Beardies are better for children to handle (once the children are old enough, and always well supervised) because they tend to just kind of hang out on your lap or chest or shoulder. They will sometimes decide to scurry a bit, but their tendency is to be fairly still. Leopard geckos are fantastic pets (and I agree that their care is simpler and less expensive than beardies), but they tend to just keep moving when you hold them, which can be very challenging for kids to manage safely.

Just my 2 cents' worth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.