This Disappears When Logged In

Bearded Dragon Questions?

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by lilherpderp, Jul 8, 2013.

1. lilherpderp

lilherpderp Member

Ok so my bearded dragons name is Shenron. I've her for 4 months. I believe she is somewhere between 5-8 months old. She is about a foot long. She is currently staying in a 20gallon long with a cactus is one corner next to her pelleted food, water is in the middle, and then a elongated animal skull decoration on her warmer side with her bowl for veggies. She is on a calcium sand maybe half and inch to an inch deep. The heat is staying consistent in the low 90s on the warm side and mid 80s on the cool side. Humidity is about 20%

My question is due to a weird behavior she had been exhibiting. The behavior is constant and all day long but was recently started about a week or two ago. She had started running around her cage scratching and pawing at the walls and digging around throwing sand constantly. Why is she doing this!?

2. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Hi! Wow another tennessean! Wow! awesome. Anyhow - simple answer? Cage stress. The tank is too small, the temps aren't correct. Do you only feed her pelleted food? Do you ever give her live food? And as for the sand...Ok I am not a huge fan of sand - there are too many "possible" issues associated with it.

She needs a minimum of a 40 gallon breeder tank or larger. Absolute minimum of 36 inches x 18 inches in length and height. Raise the basking spot temp to 105-110, use a digital probe to check temp. If it were me, I would lose the sand opt for tile but that is my personal choice.

May I ask on a side note what her diet is like? Other then the pellets? What kind of salad do you offer?

3. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

I agree with what was stated above.

Get rid of the sand, too many possibly health risk associated with it. And stop feeding pellets, that is the equivalent of feeding fast food on a daily basis. She needs fresh greens every day and daily live food source that is gut loaded for maximum benefit. Also, is she shedding or appearing as if she may be close to shedding? If she is, she may be seeking some kind of surface to rub against to help deal with the discomfort shedding skin causes. My guy would only act like that during shedding until I have him rocks with rough textures that he would literally rub against.

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yes the 20long is definitely too small. If you want to buy a tank and not build one yourself look for a 90gal or larger if you can and this will last the rest of their life.

Harley used to be frantic in her little cage but now that I have her in the 90gal she is a lazy bum and much happier.

5. lilherpderp

lilherpderp Member

Alright her food includes gut loaded crickets, mealworms, and she also eats squash, slices if green beans, kale, small pieces of carrots, peas, and mustard greens occasionally. As far as her cage, I have been saving to get her a 40 long but having to save for it as I'm getting a turtle as well. (Shenron the bearded dragon is my husbands). We have her on sand for the simple fact that she has been on it since she was hatched. (By what they said). Which I find odd. Most pet stores keep the juveniles on carpet. Anyways I'll let him know its time to get her a larger tank. So this is most likely cage stress ?

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

More than likely yes. If you have a petco near you they have the $1 per gallon sale on fish tanks and then you could get a 90gal tank for $90. Or check craigslist or kiji as they often have great deals on tanks.

I got my 500gal tank (4-5 thousand dollars brand new) for only $250 on craigslist.

7. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Few suggestions...one - most important thing. Bigger tank asap. Try craigslist.org there were some on there earlier in Knoxville for less then 100 bucks. Second, make mealworms a treat, not a staple. Greens are fine. Is she getting UV light at all? Does anyone take her outside to get natural UV? Finally, if it were me? Lose the sand. LOL

Even this would be better for now 55 gallon aquarium/terrarium

And I was wrong it was 120 dollars lizard/snake cage with wooden stand

My daughters dad lives there I was going to take her to visit was checking prices lol..let me know what is in your price range...I might be able to help you out.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Well while I agree with most of what Terri says I think the 55 is still too small as it doesn't give you any added depth which is important. That 100gal though is a good deal and would be worth buying. Plus no need to upgrade later on.

9. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Well for a short time the 55 is effeminately better then a 20L but honestly the 100 gallon is a primo choice. And it has a stand with it!!

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

But a 55 is only a bit longer and it isn't any deeper than the 20 so why waste the money? Though I guess once the beardie is in the perks ant enclosure the 55woukd work well for a musk turtle...I know! Get both and then problem solved for the turtle and the beardie!

11. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

If your husband is handy - a good enclosure can be build for <100. It would be a nice afternoon project on a weekend.

12. lilherpderp

lilherpderp Member

This is great in theory. But I cant just set down and spend 500 dollars on two tanks and stands. maybe 1000 dollars depending on the place you go. While i understand bigger is the best, i just need to know the minimum i can start at and once i can afford to go bigger i will.

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I`m not familiar with sizes in gallons, but a 36 x 18 x 18 (inches) tank would work for around 4 to 6 months (absolute maximum).
    I`m not sure the behaviour is "enclosure stress", so much as perhaps the whole tank is too hot, how are you measuring the temps (and humidity)?
    The biggest problem with these small tanks is it`s so difficult to get a temp gradient, they must have access to cooler areas where the ambient (air) temp is around 21 to 24c (72 to 75f) in the daytime. Nighttime, no lower that approx 19c (68f) though they do experience lower temps in the wild, I don`t think it`s necessary in captivity (unless they`re brumating).

14. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

lil, I can't imagine why you would pay 500 dollars for 2 tanks period!!

lizard/snake cage with wooden stand is an example

Ok another thing you can do is go to freecycle.org Join the list for Knoxville. Then post a WANTED: Large Aquarium cracked(not shattered alright. Describe what you are looking for (at least 36x18x18) I have gotten 5 tanks from there the largest being 250 gallon the smallest being 75 gallon. Many people have them laying around, don't want or need them and if you ask - they will give you just for picking up.

Finally, you can build a nice bearded dragon enclosure in an afternoon (except letting stuff dry) for about 100 dollars (130 with fixtures if needed). That includes the wood, plexi, tile, vents, and everything. There are TONS of plans and ideas in the enclosure section.

No one is trying to make you feel like you are a bad owner at all. The thing to remember is beardies stress when they switch cages. Stressed beardies get sick. Sick beardies cost ALOT to treat. So you are better to get a forever enclosure in one swoop. Personally - I believe its better to build an enclosure (and cheaper too) unless you can get them from freecycle.

I will tell you a dominant opinion around here is to take care of the animals you have first before you get more. Unless you are a qualified rescue then your current pets come first. And remember - turtles are illegal in the state of Tennessee. If you owned them prior to the law going into a effect or are a 501c rescue organization, or have the permits they are completely illegal in Tennessee.

Also I will prewarn you from experience? Turtles are expensive to set up and maintain. Period. It does not matter if you have 1 or 100. Between the dechlorinator, the filtration, the basking platform, the MVB lighting, the heaters, the food and feeders, the plants and the vet care they will cost roughly 5 times what a bearded dragon costs to maintain. And with a musk turtle - the smaller the tank, the more often you have to maintain. I am not trying to dissuade you from getting what you want, only offer the facts from experience. I do run a 501c rescue and have had turtles dumped on me because people have no idea what they are getting into with 1 tiny 7 dollar turtle.

If I made you mad, I'm sorry. I am not trying to be harsh at all. I am trying to give you facts because I am very familiar with the Knox area and surrounding areas. I grew up in NorthEast Tennessee and actually lived in just outside of Knoxville for quite some time.

15. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Murri this dragon is already roughly 30cm in length now. The tank we are suggesting for the absolute minimum would be 1 meter x .5 meter in floor space or 4180.6cm² which is not entirely optimal but will give enough space for heat gradient. The tank is too cool on one side, too warm on the other. But the measurements of a 20 long are 50cm x 30 cm x 30 cm or 1548.4cm²

That is why the suggestion of cage stress has been made.

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

One metre is 39inches, I doubt 3 inches longer and 1.5 inches taller/wider will make much difference, and none of us even know how the temps and humidity were measured, that needs clarification asap.

17. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

agreed that does need to be clarified for sure. But either way the cage is an issue that needs addressed

18. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

Turtle momma here too. My 10 dollar little adorable turtle... from the trunk of someones car in a parkinglot over 7 years ago has cost me roughly 5000$ the first three years between using a tank that was quickly outgrown and having to buy lights and replace them and proper filtration. they poop and pee ALOT. I adore her a lot. but the beardies have been cheaper lol! get things set up properly. don't "well ill save up" in the long run its 3x more expensive. lol. May