This Disappears When Logged In

Bearded Dragon Prolapse Information

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Rich, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

We see many posts on HC about prolapses. A common question we have encountered over the years has been "what does a prolapse look like?". Without an adequate image to show a prolapse, we often sent users to google or tried our best to describe it to them.

HC now houses images of a bearded dragon prolapse. These images were taken during the surgical procedure to correct the prolapse.

We are hoping to add additional medical procedure images in the future. My wife was given permission to take these for use on HC. ;)

Feel free to discuss the images here. They are graphic so view them at your own risk.

I have added a link to the page in our article section.

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Re: Bearded Dragon Prolapse

There are no images! Maybe I need stronger glasses:confused:

3. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Not seeing them either

4. Rich

They are working for me. I tested it with firefox, IE and google chrome. The pictures are pretty big so you need to give the page a moment to load.

5. ThayeriLvr

ThayeriLvr Member

Very good photos. Remember that all animals can have a prolapse.

6. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Ouch!! The images worked for me!

7. mld

I'm able to see now! Poor little guy, that looks painful.

8. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

Thanks for the photos, jeez the images seem quite painful. D:

9. Medium

Medium Elite Member

Great pictures! Not great of the reason, but very good work getting that to film. A smaller lizard won't be quite so graphic. I know I wish I had photographed a Prolapse I dealt with. At the time everything just went so fast I didn't stop and grab a camera!

10. Rich

My wife is a vet tech at a large animal hospital. She carries a camera in her purse for moments like this. Most surgeries are done during the day or HC would have a magnificent array of medical imagery. She was available for this one and grabbed some shots since she was just an onlooker. ;)

11. Boa

Boa Elite Member

The pics worked for me, that looked painful.

12. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Oh my :eek:....that poor Beardie....At least the owner took him to the vet and had it corrected....thanks for posting those, I can honestly say that while I have heard of prolapses and "knew" what it meant, I certainly never would have imagined anything like what was shown...and obviously I REALLY hope that my own Beardie NEVER has to go through that....OUCH:eek:

13. fleetwoodjack

fleetwoodjack Active Member

Oh jeez, this poor dragon, I just pray she's ok. What a thing to go through. I know it's terrible to go through as a human, I can only imagine as a dragon.

14. dragontz

dragontz Member

wow...I had no idea, I have two beardies quite healthy and successfully happy too - I have had them since July of 2009, so they are about 1 year and nine months old. What is this from or how does this happen?

Edit: Oooh my goodness, never mind I just looked it up. Good grief, I guess all I can do is keep taking good care of Smokey & Fiona!

15. dragonsage

dragonsage Member

Ouch, that looked painful! How does a prolapse happen? Guess I should go look that up. Thanks for the photos. Very informative.

16. Rich

17. mld

Wow, amazing x-rays to go with the prolapse.
    How is the bearded dragon doing now? Is there a greater chance for it to happen again? and Do they need to take something like a stool softener to help them along while they recover from the surgery?

18. Rich

The dragon is doing good. The sutures were removed after 14 days. There is a much greater chance of it happening again because it is unknown why the first prolapse occured. Other than the prolapse itself, the dragon was in great health. They did use a stool softener called lactulose while the sutures were in. The opening was very small to prevent another prolapse while it was healing. This meant the stool had very little room to pass through so it was pretty much liquid. lol (I wouldn't have been able to answer this if my wife wasn't here. lol)

19. mld

Thanks Rich's wife!

20. RavenShadows

RavenShadows New Member

I think my Bearded Dragon has a Prolapse but I dont know how to help him. I dont think there are any herp vets in my area so I am taking him to a general vet tomarrow could they help him? I am so worried because the pics posted look like what my dragon has please help!