This Disappears When Logged In

Bearded Dragon Feeding

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Carter A, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Carter A

Carter A New Member

Hi! My name is Carter Ajamie, and I am planning on getting a pet bearded dragon next month. The problem is, I have no idea how and what to feed it. I am looking at alot of different websites, but they are no help to me. Does anyone have a juvenile and adult feeding chart for bearded dragons? Thanks so much!

-Carter

2. Shidohari

Shidohari New Member

Crickets or Dubia Roaches are the preferred staples. Mealworms and waxworms are preferred by most owners as treats due to their nutritional content unless you have a very stubborn dragon (like mine who isn't eating as much as I'd like though her body size is still the same and she looks healthy and energetic). if it's a very young dragon they recommend about 20% veg, but i haven't found one that my beardie likes yet.

Hope that's a start. Other members would have better insight.

3. Carter A

Carter A New Member

but how many mealworms exactly, for a juvenile, is it easy to kill it if i feed it too much? I want to be very careful

4. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

You want to feed as much variety as possible so they get the nutrition they need. You probably won't find a specific feeding chart because growth rates and such vary too much. Usually they recommend young dragons eat as much as they can in 10 minutes. If you see they are putting on an unhealthy amount of weight, cut back. Here is some info for you...
    Feeding Bearded Dragons | Reptile Forums - Information

TamJam likes this.
  5. Carter A

Carter A New Member

one more question, can a dragon live off just one type of insect or should i give it a variety. I am asking because I am a bit creeped out by the idea of feeding it crickets, but I am fine with feeding it worms

6. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Really need variety for a healthy animal, which is the goal. If you don't like crickets you can use some other insects, not a huge deal. But more variety the better. And good healthy veggies too.

7. Carter A

Carter A New Member

ok! thanks so much. My friend (who owns a leopard gecko) told me that he got used to the cricket thing