This Disappears When Logged In

Bearded Dragon Emergency Please Respond Asap!!

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by emmara66, Oct 3, 2017.

1. emmara66

emmara66 New Member

I just got home from a 3 day vacation. I fed my beardie veggies the day before we left and insects the previous day.

I come home to find that his heat lamp was out, and I don't know for how long. I have the UVB and heat lamps on a timer so it wasn't on all 3 days, so it died at some point during then. I replaced it immediately, as I keep extras around the house.

I look into his cage and he is hiding in one of his hides, all pushed up into the corner. I grab some worms to try and feed him and he completely ignores him, which is weird. He normally always goes for worms.

I put some veggies in his cage and try to take him out to handle him. But as soon as he is out of the hide, he puffs up and opens his mouth very wide, and probably would have bitten me if I had gone closer to him.

He has never been aggressive!!! Not once! He is about 2 years old and he has NEVER been aggressive ever since I rescued him from a local Petco.

I grabbed some thin, sturdy gloves and attempt to pick up but to no avail. He is backed up against the wall and won't let me get close to picking him up.

While his mouth is opened from aggression, I use my tongs to put some veggies in his mouth. I heard this can help calm them down. He eats them, but still does not calm down.

So I closed the cage and left him alone but he is still puffed up and I'm afraid he won't ever be the same docile beardie I know and love.

please help, any advice welcome

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

First off, relax. The change in behaviour is likely from the light being out and you messing with it while it was cold and defensive. It would have been better to just leave it be and let it get back to it's normal routine before attempting to interact. Give a few days and it will likely be back to it's old self. If not start looking for something else that may have changed in its environment.

AmityReptiles and murrindindi like this.
  3. dp428

dp428 Established Member

I agree with Darkbird, he is puffing up because he probably hasn't seen real light in a while and now has a bunch of light so his eyes need to adjust. He just needs to get back to the normal conditions for a little while. He is just stressed. maybe give him a couple extra hiding places temporarily to help with the stress.

Also leave food a in a bowl for him so he has access to it when he is hungry