This Disappears When Logged In

Bearded Dragon Care Sheet

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Rich, Sep 2, 2007.

1. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Re: Bearded Dragon Caresheet

Thank you very much for updating the care sheet! :) It is much easier to read and allot of doors for confusion has been closed.

Well done!:D

2. hillary713

hillary713 Member

I'm sure they would survive.. but not as healthily as they will adding live things as well, for youngsters their diet should be half live and half fruits and veggies,when they get older they need less live. I use small crickets, they should be no larger than in between the little guys eyes, and I dust them with a multivitamin. meal worms are good and wax worms should be fed sparingly due to the fat content. another thing my herp vet suggested was canned dog food, my beardies love this stuff!

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

No, they need insects too, the young ones eat more insects than the adults, though...(usually!)

They certainly will eat dog food, but only now and again, (too much and the levels of vitamin A can be excessive)....

I think the caresheet is excellent, and yes,the article does mention humidity, it`s near the end of the piece, there`s always some humidity in the air, I would keep it low, between 20 or 30% is fine...

4. jammyja

jammyja Well-Known Member

I bought from a breeder that's has been breeding reptiles for over 29 years and all his beardies are in sand. They all turn out perfectly healthy and he says that's the best way to go.

5. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Google bearded dragon sand impaction on images, you'll find this image:

impaction01.jpg

An impaction like this will not be noticed, maybe even for years. The dragon will seem healthy and happy, but it can die 'without warning'.. Stop eating, stop going to the bathroom.. Some bearded dragons may live out their whole lives on sand, while others will suffer terribly painful deaths because of an impaction!

Yes, they can live on sand, but no, it's not the best way to go, because when you go on sand--this can happen. When you use tile, there is no possibility of impaction.

Attached Files:

6. missamoe

missamoe Well-Known Member

sand does happen to be a very economic alternative, play sand especially

7. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Tiles are also economic, less risk of bacteria, easy to clean and holds heat much better than play sand.

8. missamoe

missamoe Well-Known Member

and those are all very good points, im thinking from the free stand point, when things are tight and someone offers to buy me a bag of play sand when i cant afford anything else i'll take it

9. mld

In that case I would say no, but i'll take a few rolls of paper towel!

10. DaliKalak

DaliKalak Well-Known Member

GASP! I work in a pet store and we feed our dragons lettuce (I think). I shall immediately remedy this. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about our animals so that we avoid that "unhealthy, ignorant pet store" stereotype. :)
    Great caresheet!

11. mld

Thats great, hopefully you will learn the proper care and teach the others/manager the proper husbandry of the reptiles!

12. Melakid

Melakid New Member

Hi I have 7 beared dragons and they eat mostly veggies the best is kale, and mustered greens. Some spinage once a month is good, and I give them crickets once every 3 weeks or I will go a month or 2 with only veggies. The only thing I know real good. From talking to people who love bearded dragons, and grow them. Is a baby dragon needs crickets, but as they are getting in 7 and up they stop eating them cause they need less meat and more veggies as they get old.

13. mld

Kale isn't the best thing for a daily diet!
    Hatchling eat 80% protein and 20% greens (mustard greens, turnip greens, collard greens, dandelion greens and grated squash like butternut)
    Juveniles eat 40% protein and 50% greens/veggies on list
    Adult should eat 20% protein and 80% greens/veggies on list

14. goldenjade

goldenjade Active Member

I find the caresheet very helpful and informative.

I especially like the Diet overview section...it is important to explain why Calcium and other multivitamins are important. Sometimes I think people tend to not include this important step in food supply. Explaining that the ratio must be balanced to compensate for the ingestion of phosphorus is a great way to place emphasis and importance on this subject.

15. KS007

KS007 Member

I must say that when I got mine I was soooo scared of doing something wrong... We made sure we got the right stuff. I have a good friend who was very patient and gave me advice when I asked her stuff. Now I am very proud to say that of all the beardies sold by the petshop in the same batch (we didn't get a choice - Tupac was the last one...) Tupac is by far bigger than any of his siblings. The girls in the shop are quite amazed considering that while he is probably about 45cm long now, the rest are only a third of the size.

I don't know if it would be of any use - and I apologise for the dirty glass (well, in my defense I wasn't going to don my camera and clean glass in case I missed my chance...) but here is a photo taken of Tupac. What had caused him to do this display was that we had a power outage for a few hours that caused the temperature of the cage to drop to below optimum. He had fallen asleep due to the temperature and when the power came back on, I think he woke up with a start. Another member of this forum suggested that he gave this display because it is easier for them to soak up heat this way...
    IMAG0478.jpg

Amberlynn likes this.
  16. KS007

KS007 Member

My baby when I got him didn't eat ANY greens... He only started pecking at them when he got older... I'm still sceptical as to what he eats...

17. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

Re: Bearded Dragon Caresheet - Pogona vitticeps

how can sand be bad for a bearded dragon? they live in the desert.

18. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

No they live on an arid wasteland basically. It isn't lots of sandy hills instead it is hard packed clay and rocks. Most deserts aren't made of loose sand. It is hard packed clay dirt and rocks.

19. Warhawk

Warhawk Well-Known Member

The care sheet says 3'x2' is mini size. Is that right? Every place I have seen says 4'x2' just double checking

20. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

4 x 2 is the preferred size. The reason why is so they can turn around and walk. A bearded dragon can go between 18-24 inches in length with most being 17-20 inches. This is the reason everyone says 4 x 2. But I will be honest the bigger you can go - the better you will be for both you and your dragon. Heat gradient isn't hard its just a matter of learning how to set it up.

For example...I have a tank 5 feet long 3 feet wide 20 inches tall. I have 2 UV, and a solar glo on it for heat (left side) then in the middle I have a black light (not the reptile type..the type from WalMart lighting dept) in a 60W and that gives me a good gradient.

Added by Rich: Many say "40 gallon breeder tank" while also saying "4 x 2". A 40 gallon breeder tank is actually 3 feet x 1.5 feet (4.5 sq feet) and NOT 4 feet x 2 feet (8 sq feet) like so many people seem to think. it is actually almost half the suggested size. Just an FYI, most 55 gallon tanks (though 4 feet long) offer even less floor space than a 40 gallon breeder.