This Disappears When Logged In

Bcc Nose Rub

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by Lazulimoon, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Lazulimoon

Lazulimoon Member

IMG_8700.JPG IMG_5658.JPG Hello,
    I adopted this BCC rather recently (December 4, 2017). She's the sweetest snake ever, no issues with aggression at all. When we first got her home I noticed a scar on the tip of her snout, it went away completely after 2 sheds. Today during feeding, I noticed that area was a little bloody and raw. She gets a lot of out time, and her husbandry is okay. I just don't understand why she's doing it.

Husbandry Info:
    Her enclosure now is not too small (4 x 2 x 2), though she is getting an upgrade here soon since she is still growing. She's not quite full grown. Humidity is typically between 63-65. Warm side is typically in the mid 80s with a 94 hot spot while the cool end is in the low 70s. I use an UTH, and her enclosure is a xlarge sweater box. The plastic itself isn't very clear so I don't see her being able to see outside of it too well to want to get out.

She doesn't have mites or an RI, but I'm keeping an eye on her just in case. She's not currently shedding, and feeds on her regular schedule (once a week).

What can I do to stop this behavior? Or even prevent it. I feel bad that her nose is so raw. What can I put on it to help it heal? Will neosporrin work fine? Also, is this fairly common??
    Any help will be greatly appreciated!

•First photo is from today
    •Second photo is of the scar a day after bringing her home, she shed at the end of that following week.

2. Jsilverback64

Jsilverback64 Established Member

Sometimes any reptiles just don't understand why they can't get through glass. You might try taping some paper or cardboard over the bottom half of her Viv.

3. Lazulimoon

Lazulimoon Member

As I stated above, she's in a storage tote. The plastic itself isn't really see through at all.

4. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

You could try and offer her a more secure hide, snakes like to be hidden a lot of times. I'm not sure if this will work, but it could be worth a shot.
    Snake will naturally look for a way out of the enclosure, and if there is a way out, they will find it, she could be more persistent than most.
    Best of luck

5. Lazulimoon

Lazulimoon Member

Thank you, I'll try to provide her maybe smaller hides so she feels more secure.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

However there will still be light coming thru. I would go ahead and cover the bottom 6 inches of the wall and see if it helps. It certainly won't hurt.