This Disappears When Logged In

BCC-BCI. Differences

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by CrazyCylax, Nov 10, 2011.

1. CrazyCylax

CrazyCylax Well-Known Member

I was searching forums to find that nobody really was able to describe there differences. Since I love all boas essp my BCI BCC BCO and other localities.
    So that being said I'll start.

BCI BOAS----Boa c. Imperator
    More tan. Specific tone that can't be missed. Fawnish. If that makes sence. Head shape. Not as arrowhead like. Over all size. Full grown specimens are recorded to be smaller than there BCC cousin. Peaking. This is iffy due to hybrids. Most bcc boas will have nice widow peaks throughout there saddles. Rather than this )( it's more this{}.
    But fairly common to see A BCC Without them. And a BCI with them.
    Here's my tinkerbell. Prime example of a bci localtie

5abf38ff.jpg
    434b40f0.jpg

BCC BOAS------- Boa c. Constrictor
    Very prime in appearance. Arrow shaped head. Color sheme. Saddle pattern. Scale count and peaking. And ofcoarse there bright TRUE red tail. Though all of this is interrupted with hybrids. Here's my Suriname "suri".

e167c85a.jpg
    643ddc6e.jpg
    981eef3e.jpg

Both BCI and BCC boas are plenty beautiful. Either are great pets and not one is better than the other. Though BCC localities are my favorite. Just a personal opinion.

So if you bought a boa marked at redtail or commenly refered as Colombian red tail boa
    And if you didn pay in the 200 dollar range, odds have it Your beautiful animal is a common Colombian BCI. Not a common boa or red tail. As there is many subspecies of Bci around. Central Americans, common Colombians, and many others are BCI localities. Just as Brazilians, puruvians, Surinames, and Guyanas plus more, are BCC localities. May take time before differences are pointed out. But give it time and look through many pics. You'll know the diffrence right off hand and ask yourself. "how did I not know".

Hope this was useful. Did this because I searched and found nothing on differentials on BCC And BCI localities only that some are red Tails and others are common boas. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. Knox

Knox Elite Member

I appreciate the effort, though many sentences are hard to understand due to structure and punctuation.

This is not a slam at all. I have been wondering for a while what the differences are between the two. The problem is, I am still not sure.

3. CrazyCylax

That was the site. I was trying to input B-C-I. And B-C-C
    Rather than BCC and BCI. it just automatically put the full text.
    Just read it differently. It's very simple to distinguish the 2.
    Because I can't edit it. It always puts the full text.

4. CrazyCylax

I acually just re read again and I don't see where it difficult to read other that the text being shown In full.
    My phone mis spells words. I'll fix those now. But other than that i didn see much flaw. Few missed commas and misspelled words.

5. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

6. andys3ballpythons

andys3ballpythons Elite Member

i just have to ask, i had a guy trying to tell me that saddle count has something to do with it, he tried to convince me that if it had something like 24 saddles it was bcc and anything less was bci. i think i already know the answer to this one, but thought i would check.

7. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

That sounds silly. Wouldn't number of saddles be a genetic mutation and not an indicator of species?

8. CrazyCylax

Saddles have nothing to do with bcc and bci differences.
    Scale count yes. But due to so much hybridizing to create bcc morphs
    You can't rely on much but your knowledge on the species. What I look mainly for is how far the peaks go. Tone of color. How uniform the pattern is. And head definition. Also the TRUE red tail.
    People mistake bci's for red tails. When there really 'brown tails'. Doesn't make a diffrence on pet quality just size and color.
    Both are magnificent creatures.

9. CrazyCylax

My bci has 29 saddles. And bcc has 18-23. Reverse stripe throws me off haha

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Pretty sure my big girls is a BCI. Not only does she look like most BCI pictures I have seen, she was also a very cheap snake, lol. I love her just the same, but a lot of those BCC are very pretty.

11. YellowOctopus

YellowOctopus Elite Member

I always go by head size/shape. And, of course, if it's got a line out to just above each eye. If I notice either of those things, I tell an incredulous and often clueless employee that their snakes are mis-marked. We then go into the "yuh-huh" "nuh-uh" back and forth until I get grouchy and go to the pet store that can actually tell the difference. I've also been known to stand around waiting for an employee to get feeders, and tell other customers interested in the boas how to tell the difference.

I drooled a little over your Suriname, by the way. My Suriname is almost 9 months and has made me a bit of a snob.

12. CrazyCylax

Haha. Thanks. Once you get addicted to genetics it usally makes us all snobs.
    Essp when you get involved with BCO's BCA's and the other localities.
    It's extreamlly fasanating! IMO

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I have a central American, but I never stopped to wonder what his subspecies name is, lol. Anyone know?

14. CrazyCylax

"Boa constrictor imperator" (bci)
    Central American sub species.

15. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

In Binomial nomenclature, Boa is the genus of the snake, constrictor is the the species of the snake, and imperator the subspecies. I'm still a bit confused. If the central American boa is a subspecies, and is the same subspecies as a regular BCI, then that's correct. If he is a different subspecies, he should have something other than imperator as the subspecies name.

???

16. YellowOctopus

Pictures would help! BCI is the common boa, central American boa or Columbian boa- my understanding is that all of those are the same subspecies. BCI range goes from Columbia all the way up through Mexico.

BCC are the red tails. They're highly variable and are only found in South America.

17. CrazyCylax

"The Boa constrictor (Boa constrictor) is a large, heavy-bodied species of snake. It is a member of the family Boidae found in North, Central, and South America, as well as some islands in the Caribbean. A staple of private collections and public displays, its color pattern is highly variable yet distinctive. Ten subspecies are currently recognized, although some of these are controversial.[2] This article focuses on the species Boa constrictor as a whole, but also specifically on the nominate subspecies Boa constrictor constrictor.".

"Though all boids are constrictors, only this species is properly referred to as "Boa constrictor"; an almost unique instance of an animal having the same common and scientific binomial name. (The distinction is shared with Tyrannosaurus rex.) Hence, the Boa constrictor is the only living animal to have this distinction.

All subspecies are referred to as "Boa constrictors", while the nominate subspecies, B. c. constrictor, is often referred to specifically as the "red-tailed boa". Within the exotic pet trade it is also known as a "BCC", an abbreviation of its scientific name, to distinguish it from other Boa constrictor subspecies such as the Boa constrictor imperator which is also regularly, and erroneously, referred to as a "red-tailed boa".

Other common names include "jibóia" (Latin American) and "macajuel" (Trinidadian, pronounced mah-cah-well).[3]"

Home | Stöckl - Die Nr.1 Boa constrictor Seite im Internet

18. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

well he is most assuredly not a BCC. He's a BC something, but not sure what, lol. I never really got curious until now.

He is different from my BCI girl in a ton of ways (least of which is size. She is 8 feet long, and weighs thirty pounds. He is 35 inches long, and weighs 2 pounds or less, I'd have to weigh him again, to be honest)

He is also much darker - not the pale tan that my girl is. I know subspecies can vary quite a bit, but this seems drastic. I'm not expert though. Pics below. You can get a general idea of his size and coloring.

Attached Files:

19. CrazyCylax

I'd say bci from central America somewhere. Beautiful one at that.
    Very beautiful!

20. YellowOctopus

He almost looks like an insular form of BCI. If he's got a dark belly, he looks like a West Indies morph. He could just be a BCI with a pretty variegated heritage (mutt seems such a crass term for such a beautiful snake).