This Disappears When Logged In

Baytril in torts?

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by nicole, Jul 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicole

nicole Elite Member

The day before yesterday Oscar went in to the vet because he started showing signs of respitory infection. He went with my daughter s hamster that is losing all of her hair. Anyway the infection was not that bad and he was put on Baytril as a precaution. The doc gave him his first shot, he then started pulling his leg in his shell and rubbing it against his face, he started limping and then refusing to walk, such a drama king, lol. I realize Baytril stings very very bad. Here is my issue though, I gave him another injection last night and two hours later he threw up. I was told that is a sign of an allergy to the meds. I called the 24 hour care clinic and without any warning their exotic vet landed a fabulous job back east and there is no more there:eek: I was referred to another vet who told me on the phone that Baytril causes kidney damage in tort s and is not first choice for them. The doctor that gave him Baytril is my normal doc that I see during the day, but now I am wondering why she would give him that if it is so bad, someone please help me! The other vet treats for the Pacific Northwest herp society, the Reptile Zoo etc.
    Does anyone know about Baytril in Torts? Now I am wondering if I should change vets.

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ignorance! Thats why your vet gave you the baytril. Since they use baytril ordinarily for the RI's, they didn't think twice about using it with the tort. Again, it was simply ignorance on their part.

Personally, I have a one strike policy. If they screw up once with ANY of my animals, they don't get a second chance to do so.

I live by the saying:

First mistake, shame on you.....
    Second mistake, shame on me!

Perhaps you could see if the other doc would be willing to take you on as a client?

3. nicole

nicole Elite Member

He is, he spent quite some time with me and we talked about the others that are here at the moment. He seems extremely knowledgeable and has a great bedside manner. I know I should have caught the whole Baytril thing but Geez I pay them good money to know there stuff! So now I obviously go back to the vet, the new one, who is two and a half hours away:eek: LOL

So it is a good thing that he will take me, the vet I usually see is gone because most of my problems were after hours, lol.

so frustrating!

4. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

OMG Nicole....that is awful....Poor Oscar....you better apologize for calling him a drama king LOL.....poor thing...hopefully he will improve with the new doctor.....

5. nicole

nicole Elite Member

We are leaving in 1 hour as he just barfed again, so I am going to see the new vet. Hopefully they can help him I am in tears I feel like such an A@@, I should know this and I have heard that before but I put ALL my trust in my vets, but I was WRONG. I cannot imagine what this is doing to his kidneys, Oscars kidneys were not that great to begin with from beinfg starved and severely dehydrated when I got him. At least this vet hospitalizes there. I really miss my other vet, he did wonders for Lucky!

6. kelly

kelly hi!

I hope Oscar feels better real soon!

7. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

So sorry to hear this, I hope it all works out.

8. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

awww, not Oscar. I hope he gets better soon. :(

9. The D

The D Mango Empress

oh how terrable! poor baby Oscar... i hope he get's better real soon for you Nicole!

10. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I'm sorry to hear about Oscar's conundrum :( Hopefully the new vet can help though. The new one sounds more promising than whoever gave him the Baytril at least. I have to ask though...what was wrong with the hamster?

11. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Mites!!!!!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!! They are not able to be seen to the naked eye on hamsters! Once again EEEEEEEWWWWW!! I hate bugs, lol

12. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

That sucks. Did you manage to get rid of them? What sort of bedding do you use?

13. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I was using pine, but have now switched to the 21.99 bag of Carefresh :eek: lol, but apparently they cook this stuff so it does not come with mites, A huge plus. She is on Ivermectin to get rid of them and it will take a while, but I can tell you that the swelling in her face is going down now YEAH!

14. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Well that's good (that the swelling is going down that is). Pine is toxic, so it's a good thing you switched. It will often cut their life expectancy down noticeably, and cause lung ailments and other problems while they are alive. Carefresh isn't bad, but it can be a bit dusty, so once you're out of that you may wish to go with Carefresh Ultra, which has less dust. Personally I just recommend aspen bedding, which is perfectly harmless and much cheaper than Carefresh. Then supply some paper towels for nest building.

15. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Carefresh ultra?? Geez I will definately look into that! Carefresh and Carefresh ultra :eek: That is funny!
    I can tell you the carefresh smells like old pizza boxes though, which I thought was kind of odd!

16. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

We use aspen shavings (the snake bedding) for Ambers hamster. It works great.

We allow her to build her own nest using paper towel rolls as well as toilet paper rolls. She seems to love the things. She shreds them up and lines it all around her nest.

17. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I will definately look into that too Thanks!:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.