This Disappears When Logged In

Bathing?

Discussion in 'Pituophis (Pines, Bulls, Gophers)' started by YellowOctopus, Nov 6, 2010.

1. YellowOctopus

YellowOctopus Elite Member

Hey,

Everything's been going well with Hyperion thus far, though last week we had a spot of trouble. Before I begin, temps are 88F hot end, 78F cool end, upper 60sF at night, ~50% humidity. On paper towel.

Anyways. Last week he went into shed, and it was indeed a wonderful shed until the last 5 inches or so of it, which just won't come off. I tried leaving a towel in his favorite hide, but it so far hasn't done anything after two days. Is a bath a good solution? Are there any better solutions?

Thanks.

2. jtwilson3

jtwilson3 Elite Member

Uh is it a snake or a lizard? What breed is it?

If a reptile then I have given mine baths before. I just take an aquarium thermometer or my tank thermometer that has a probe and get the water temperature to about 85 is mine usually. That way its not a system shock ya know? Baths are never a bad idea. Just DON'T pull the skin off.

If it is a snake (I have not personally owned a snake so don't quote me but I have HEARD and READ someone telling someone else to do this with their snake. They said to take a pillowcase and put a damp towel in there and tie the pillowcase. Leave the snake in there all night and take him out the next morning.

Again I never owned the snake but I think someone else might back me up on that one. Wait for someone else to come along though too. Plus you can always raise the humidity of the cage a little.

3. YellowOctopus

Sorry, he's a Sonoran gopher. I figured it didn't matter among Pituophis.

4. jtwilson3

jtwilson3 Elite Member

Oh I didn't read the origninal post. All I saw was "Bathing" lol

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Could be a humidity issue, misting during the day and the pillowcase trick might be a good idea for getting off the stuck shed. Wet pillowcase with a wet towel, I would also up the night time temp, no lower than 70. Humidity during shed is important. Soak in a shallow bath, even just his tail where the problem is.

6. YellowOctopus

Thanks. I moved the water dish closer to the heat sources during the day (humidity just tanked here in about a week, went from 70% outside to 30% outside), so that's up a bit, and I tossed a wet towel in the hide overnight before trying the pillowcase trick, which worked a bit. The pillowcase and towel overnight took care of the rest.

Thanks!