This Disappears When Logged In

Barbie Dream House

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Whatshername, Mar 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whatshername

Whatshername Elite Member

So, I've been thinking of making Om a new home, since his tank is far too small. Last night I was looking around my room, when I laid eye on my "bookshelf". It is the "Barbie Dream House" that my grandpa built for my mom out of wood. It's about 2 1/2' X 3 1/2', with 6 different "rooms". Since it would be very difficult to remove the walls, we're going to make him little archways so he can get from room to room. This will also make it easier to control heat/humidity. We're also going to put hinged doors over each room. One rooms will have his pool, lol. I'm going to put my extra floor tiles in it so he doesn't get sand in the water. Any other suggestions would be nice.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

That's so cute!!!

3. TuesdaiC

TuesdaiC Elite Member

Very good idea.

4. schlegelbagel

How long is this going to last him? I re-read the dimensions and it doesn't sound too big.

5. Whatshername

It's just until we can get him something bigger. When I got him, we didn't get much education. I'm sad to say that he's currently in a 20 gallon long. MUCH too small. But we don't currenly have space for 4X6 feet. I think he'll be happy with the new space

6. schlegelbagel

No place to put a kiddie pool?

7. Whatshername

Not at the moment. After I move, he'll have a bigger place.
    So, I wanna start planning the rooms. We're going to do his next weekend. One room will be a hide, maybe with an under tank heater. Another room will have very deep substrate for digging. I'm going to make one into a pool room. I want to have one room be a hot basking room, and another be a very humid room. The last will be his food/water room. For heating we'll have 2 domes, one 50 watt bulb, one 75, and 1 or 2 under tank heaters. My main question is how to do the pool. Also, should I put sand in the bottom? I'm mainly wondering what kind of structure he'd be able to get in and out of. I might just get some plastic sheeting and staple it to the side.

8. Whatshername

Well, change of plans. I decided to take a hammer and saw and take out the walls. I should have it done in a few hours. I'm going to buy one of those paint roller trays for his pool.

9. Whatshername

I'm done! Here are the pics! The lining on the bottom is plastic wrap and Duck tape, lol. All the wood has been sanded down.

Attached Files:

• 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      17.4 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      17 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      18.8 KB
      Views:
    • 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      16 KB
      Views:
    • 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      18.8 KB
      Views:
    • 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      15.3 KB
      Views:
    • 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      17.4 KB
      Views:
    • 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      17.2 KB
      Views:
  10. Whatshername

So, my grandmother won't stop telling me that I have to take him out. Apparently, because some of it is panneling, the glue in the panneling is deadly. When it gets too hot, the glue in it gives off fumes. My question is, what is too hot? He shouldn't bee getting more than 95 degrees. I assume they use panneling in warm areas, correct? It gets into the 100s in my room during the summer, so shouldn't I already be dead?

Attached Files:

• 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      File size:
      16.3 KB
      Views:
    • 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      19.9 KB
      Views:
    • 016.jpg
      016.jpg
      File size:
      22.9 KB
      Views:
  11. Whatshername

So I'm thinking of adding some plastic plants. I've seen cute little plastic cacti. But I'm worrying he'd try to eat them. That's why I'm leaning toward the plastic cacti, nothing he can acutally take a bite out of. Andthing with leaves would probably be unsafe. I assume these plants are safe to be used with heat lamps. I know he'll probably just knock the stuff over, but it'll make me feel better, lol. His new home is so blank. All he has is a rock and his dishes.
    I'm thinking of not leaving his pool in 24/7. Maybe a few days a week?

12. Whatshername

Come on guys, I could really use some input here:confused:

13. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I don't know what to tell you about the paneling. But with the plants, if you are worried about if he would eat them, why not put plants in that are ok for him to eat? Even if it's not live plants, but what would be dinner, you could build a little wire frame or something so that say collard green leaves are bunched together to look like a plant, but he can eat it and no worries...

14. schlegelbagel

I also have no idea about the paneling. I know MDF can be used as long as it doesn't get wet, I haven't heard about the glue causing an issue.

And for some reason I though you were leaving the house upright with ladders going to levels! LOL. I can be soooo blond some times. Looks like a lot more room!

15. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

I would think it would be safe with that paneling but I am no expert on that,lol. I have heard of tortoise seed kits but I havent found them yet I heard they were selling them on ebay but I am dubious. I wanted to grow grass for my RT but I can't find anyone who knows where/what kind ect.
    My RT Penelope is no climber but she does eat whatever is in front of her. She probably would just stomp threw anything anyway,lol.

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I believe that what your Granny is referring to is formadehyde, which is used in a lot of processed wood materials. And yes it is very toxic.

But the problem occurs with new materials in an enclosed situation with no air movement. Since this doll house is neither new nor enclosed I would see no problem with it. Though to be on the safe side I would be coating it with polyurethane anyway to protect the wood.

I would also be very cautious about the plastic plants. He may or may not decide to sample them but to be on the safe side I would not use them.

17. schlegelbagel

I would doubt this has Formadehyde in it! It's A children's toy! Although you never know these days. :mad:

18. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

It looks more like a "home made" barbie dream house not one maufactured. And the paneling is that stuff you see on the walls of maufactured homes so what Merlin said is acurate, it could have formadehyde

19. Whatshername

No, I doubt it has formaldehyde. My mother is allergic to it, so we would have noticed, lol.
    I was looking at plants today and I'm leaning toward aquarium decorations that are made of resin. They don't even LOOK appetizing, though he did chew on a plastic yellow bowl once. I also found a plant that had the cloth leave, but they're too high up for him to eat. I may be leaning more toward an aquarium decoration I saw though, it's a big plastic palm tree, lol

20. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Thats no guarantee. Think how often lately its in the news that children's toys are being recalled due to safety hazards.
    And this isn't even a recent item. She said her grandfather built it for her mother so it pretty much goes back to my generation when there wasn't nearly the safety controls on things there are now.

To hear them talk now its a wonder that any of the kids of my generation even survived!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.