This Disappears When Logged In

Banded Water Snake

Discussion in 'Garter & Water snakes' started by Rakoladycz, Jun 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

I was looking into getting a banded water snake, but i cant find a decent caresheet for one. so if anyone could point me in the right direction or recommend a good caresheet i'd appreciate it.

I have a pretty good idea on how to maintain one but just anything taht would be out of the ordinary

I figure a tank that is 50/50 water and land will be probably about right and i read that they should have some verticle height because they do tend to climb. So what would be considered an appropriate sized tank... i was thinking a 29 gallon would be sufficient, but was unsure. I know that they are rather messy so having a tank that drains easily is important, so i was thinking about getting a Glass cutting bit and drilling a hole in a low part of the tank and buying a plug for it.

I was also wondering if they are communitive?

I know they should be fed fish, tadpoles, frogs, and things of that nature. NOT gold fish because of thiamese (sp?) are their other cheap fish i could feed them? I asked a pet shop owner here and he said that regular pond minnows would be fine, but i dont know if i really want to do that because of parasites and other things.

I read that you can convert them over to mice, but this tends to be rather difficult so that is why i was asking about fish. hear we can get like 6 neons for a dollar or something but they are so small... so any recommendations in this also appreciated.

I feel like i have alot of what i need covered but i feel like i am missing somethign important

any help or tips will be appreciated

2. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

Nerodia are some of my favorites.

You do not need so much water for the snake. A simple water bowl would suffice, unless you wanna deck out the enclosure. If memory serves, a 29g would be good, though I housed my 34" adult in a 55g. and it seemed like a great size enclosure for roaming and all.. I'm a bit excessive when it comes to housing, so you should be ok.

In what context do you mean communitive? Such as housing multiples or?

As for fish, steer clear of carp family fish. Minnows, perch, and the such are ideal foods, as are amphibians. Also note that I did not have a hard time making mine eat mice, though I still fed the latter food items from time to time.

3. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Yes i do intend to deck the tank out and i have it figured where i can have 3/4 land area.
    In the communitive i did mean housing multiples, because i think it would be nice to have a pair because i did read that they readily breed. I was told a 55 so that half of the bottom can be land and half be water but the way i have the tank planned i will have a piece of 1 1/2 styrofoam secured just above water level so that i could have even 3/4 of the tank be land and then there will be plenty of swimming room underneath.

Would a hide underwater be a good idea? I would think they occasionally coil up at the bottom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.