This Disappears When Logged In

Bamboo Perches for a Green Tree Python Enclosure

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by pjrojo, Apr 2, 2012.

1. pjrojo

pjrojo Subscribed User Premium Member

In the next couple of weeks I'm going to make some modifications to my Green Tree Python's enclosure, One of the modifications I want to do is replace the PVC piping with bamboo but I’m having a hard time finding a 'reptile/snake bamboo' when I do a Google/Yahoo search, I've some of y'alls GTP enclosures with bamboo perches, where do I fine bamboo and how do I water proof it? Let me know what you think...

2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

"Flukers" makes bamboo bars that they sell, they can extend or contract and have suction cups on each end. I've used those and you can find them online with reptile suppliers for about $8 or$9.

3. pjrojo

I'll get an order placed, Don't be surprised when you see a picture of mine here soon and think it's one yours Joey

4. JoeyG

mine are always a work in progress :)

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You can find bamboo of various lengths at most garden stores. They sell them as plant stakes.

6. pjrojo

That's a good idea too Merlin, Will I need to modify the bamboo in any way to make it safe for my snake?

7. Merlin

I would just wash it well.

8. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

We used bamboo in the beginning, but it tended to grow mold due to the high humidity. Now we use scorched pvc.

9. JoeyG

That's why I prefer all the fake stuff for perches. Flukers bamboo is fake.

10. Merlin

Did you try sealing it with polycrylic first or just use it natural?

11. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

I ordered mine from ebay, got a bundle of 50 6 foot sticks. About a inch to inch and half in diameter. Works for my day geckos.

12. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Merlin I just used the bamboo you get at a garden center.
    I suppose I could have sealed it, but I'm happy with the scorched pvc plumbing pipes: I can hide my cables inside and just drill a hole for the probe end to stick out of.