This Disappears When Logged In

Ball X Burmese

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by untsmurf, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. untsmurf

untsmurf Elite Member

I was at a Herp show this weekend and saw a snake that was marked Ball x Burm and called a Dwarf Burm. I haven't heard of this process and I'm not too familiar with breeding but I was curious about this. Does anyone know anything about it or have any opinions regarding the cross breeding?

2. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

I've never heard them being called Dwarf Burms, I've heard them called Burm Balls... Let me find my old post and I'll post a link in this one...

3. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

4. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

I doubt that it was a true Burm Ball, as far as I know the first Burm Balls aren't even a year old yet so it'd be impossible to know their true size.

5. leslielenee

leslielenee Elite Member

Alright, that upset me...but not as much as most (oddly enough) because whereas there were some scrap snakes in that litter, the ratio of beauty to bust was definitely greater in the Burmball. Which, in retrospect a second tier litter would possibly weed out the scrap. You just have to pick what you want the species to actually look like. (examples: I noticed some that bodied more like balls, some that bodied more like burms. And by scrap I meant those that had the front half like burns and the dumpy back half like balls...not very practical to be a snake like that!)

Hopefully they got this early on and have not royally messed up (like being able to pass off F1's thru F5's)
    I believe that if you have successfully created a hybrid, then it is your responsiblity to clean it up and make it as pure and consistent as you possibly can at the same time checking temperament and health factors as you go.

P.S Brewster...The pictures were dated 04-05-07 which would make those hatchlings about a 1 1/2 years old. Maybe there is hope for that species yet.
    Hey Ipanda. Do you know if they are all $7,000 or do they do like boas? (the best go for 3,500 and the genetic hosts go for 140)?

6. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

Ok, they're a little older than I thought but still they aren't old enough to know their true size, who ever it was was probably trying to make money by saying the snakes were something they weren't.

Honestly I don't have a problem with hybrids and there are some I'd actually love to own (no one bite my head off please) but for some reason I don't like the idea of breeding a 3-5 foot snake to one that can grow to massive sizes of 20 feet plus. I could see some problems in the future with breeding animals like that.

For example, what if in the future some one came up with the crazy idea of breeding a blood python to a retic? What if the offspring grew to the length of a retic, and had the bulk of blood? That may sound like an amazing snake but people have a hard time with snakes over 10 feet, imagine trying to feed or control a snake that could possibly dwarf the largest anacondas on record.

One other problem I see is I don't think that snake would be healthy. When half the genetics are meant for a small body and the other half are for something that could possibly reach 30 feet I don't think I'd the snake would be as genetically, physically, or internally as stable as a pure bred or even a hybrid between two similar sized snakes.

7. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

I have seen Burm Balls before, they are ugly. I saw them about 2 or 3 years ago when I first got into reptiles.

There are true Dwarf Burms too. They cost a good penny the last time I looked. They are better looking than normal Burms.

8. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

I really couldn't tell you, all I know about them is in that thread...

9. MoogleBass

They are about $5000 to $7000. Who's table was it on?

10. untsmurf

untsmurf Elite Member

I couldn't tell you, the table was in between Bob Clark's table and Twisted Constrictors table. They had some retics on their table too, but it wasn't impressive, and there didn't seem to be anyone supervising the table when I passed by. Thank you for all the info. I didn't read through all three pages of the link that was posted, but skimmed the first one. Are these hybrids being actively bred or is it just a curiosity thing? I'd be interested in seeing the size they become.

11. MoogleBass

They stay small for the most part.

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL! But the term "small" when applied to something with Burmese genes is a VERY relative thing!

13. untsmurf

untsmurf Elite Member

Right, are we talking small like a ball or small like boa...?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.