This Disappears When Logged In

Ball Won't Eat

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by SnakesNCakes, Oct 3, 2015.

1. SnakesNCakes

SnakesNCakes Established Member

Okay, so I've had my Ball Python, Dale, for quite awhile now. Probably a year and a half. He ate perfectly, everything was fine and dandy. Then I moved and since I moved he hasn't eaten. I assumed it was from stress from the move, but he doesn't appear to be stressed. He explores his enclosure, has been shedding normally, and appears to be happy and healthy. Its been probably two months since he's eaten and he doesn't seem to thin down at all either which I think is strange. I know they can go quite awhile without eating but I'm still worried.

He bites at the rat, wraps around it and sits on it like he normally does when he actually eats it, but now he spits it out and leaves it. He's done that exact thing with the last five rats I've tried giving him, so whats up with Dale?

A bit about his enclosure, its a 20 long (yes i know thats small and the bare minimum so please don't tell me its too small, I'm working on getting him a bigger one very soon. theres a dollar per gallon and petco soon :) ) he has a hide a water bowl and good bedding. Humidity and temp are on spot too. SO I'm very confused as to why he won't eat.

Thanks for all the help guys!

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

One of my spiders does/did that. I expected to lose a prey item at each feeding with him. She would grab it, constrict it, then leave it. All of the other snakes eat without any issues. I stopped feeding him on the same schedule as the other snakes. I feed on Sat or Sun, weekly. He is offered food every 2 weeks. Some weeks he takes it and it eats, some weeks he goes through his old drill. I lose less rats feeding him like this and he doesn't lose weight. A healthy snake can exceed 8 months without food. The new smells, scents, etc. could still be a sensory overload. He doesn't eat regularly and remains healthy. When he first did this several year back, I offered him a pre-killed rat because he hadn't eaten in a couple months. He took that without issue and ate it.

3. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

How long has it been since the move? You may be attempting to feed to often, if he is in a noisy room now where previously he wasnt, new smells, etc. Think like this, he is like a new snake now since he is in a new house. Check temperatures again since no 2 houses heat etc the same. They could be off. Then, wait 2 weeks with no handling etc then try to feed again. Don't worry about the not eating unless he starts to loose weight.