This Disappears When Logged In

ball / royal python breeders?

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by sarah.s, Jun 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarah.s

sarah.s Member

Hi I am new to this froum and am wondering if anyone knows of a good ball / royal python breeder in the uk? I have been doing my research and have decided I will be able to give the care needed to this snake. I however plan on waiting till next year before I get my ball to give me extra time to do even more reseach and to get the housing etc set up. The extra time will also allow me to spread the cost of the set up out so that it is of less stress to my finances. I should say that as a child we rescused a ball python so I already know about some of the problems that can crop up and about basic care. It was the ball we rescused that got me hooked on snakes in the first place I currently have a young amel corn which I am bringing back to health after a bad start in its life due to it being part of a mass production project. When I got the poor little thing it was the size and weight of a hatchling dispite the fact it was at least 5 months old, hench alot of time and effort has gone into looking after this little one. My main and first love whenit comes to snakes however is balls and I look forward egerly to the day when I bring my first one home.

2. venus

venus Founding Member

hi Sarah, welcome to Herp Center. We have many UK members here, hopefully someone will be able to help you.

3. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Hi, and welcome to the HCN. We are glad to have ya

4. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Good for you that you are taking the time to get a lot of information and a good set-up for your BP first!!!!
    You're going to save yourself a lot of stress (financial and psychological) doing it that way.
    I think it's great that you rescued that poor little cornsnake too...I hope he continues to improve.
    Good luck in your search for a Royal. The UK members might be able to point you in the right direction for a good breeder.

Oh and WELCOME to the HC Network!!!! :)

5. aiden_punx

aiden_punx Elite Member

6. sarah.s

sarah.s Member

thanks for those aiden I will look into them and see what I think of them also thanks for the welcomes from everyone else.

7. sarah.s

sarah.s Member

That last one does not seem to exist at least my comp could not find it. Having had a good look at price lists It will be alot longer than just next year before I get my royal but they are well worth waiting for.

8. aiden_punx

aiden_punx Elite Member

9. sarah.s

sarah.s Member

Grins yep that one worked oh that royal deal has me really intrested £80 for the python and full set up is tempting I guess I better get hold of a copy of the royal / ball python manual asap as I think I am going to need it. I will stay strong and stick to doing it the long but safer way I will. Well depending on just what the full starter kit has and if it all checks out as safe anyway.

10. aiden_punx

aiden_punx Elite Member

That is a good deal go for it if you think you are ready.

11. sarah.s

sarah.s Member

I want more info on what is in the starter kit first as I dont want hot rocks or such as I consider them dangerous, I prefer to use under tank heating and basking lights out side the viv but pointed downwards. I also want to be sure I will get some sort of thermostat and thermoetor / hydrometer in the kit as well to help regulate the enviromental conditions properly.

12. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Hi and Welcome to HC Network...sounds like you are doing the right thing in researching first. IF you think you are ready, and you choose to get your ball python, best of luck to you. Let us know if you have any questions! Lyn

13. sarah.s

sarah.s Member

Hi lyn to be honest I could probabally manage now but I would feel a little more confident if I had a bit more info before I went for it, the problem I have found is that even books and care sheets seem to give conflicting infomation and this makes it tricky to know which to follow. However as I have now found this site and with a good book and the right set up I might just go for it.

14. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

It sounds like you're on the right track and will do well with your BP. You're right, those heat rocks ARE dangerous... I can't believe they are still sold!! I started with an undertank heater with my BP, but I changed over to a Ceramic Heat Emitter (with a good protective cage cover to keep the snake from getting burned.)
    HOWEVER, we've just started using heat panels in our GTP and Rainbow Boa terrariums and they are absolutely FABULOUS. They look nice (don't take up too much space) and they heat very well without getting dangerously hot.
    The important things you need, IMO:
    2 hide boxes -- one on the warm side and one on the cool side of the tank
    1 moist hide box -- this can be a little closed tupaware container with an entrance hole cut in the short side (you don't need more holes than that) Put some sphagnum moss in it and keep it moist and on the warm side or middle of the tank.
    1 water bowel -- I use a ceramic ashtray because my BP doesn't like to soak. But any type of similar container would work: ceramic feeding bowls for small dogs or cats work well too.
    As substrate you should use newspaper and/or paper towels at the beginning till you are SURE SURE SURE that your new baby doesn't have mites. If you use a soil substrate and THEN find mites, it'll be more of a mess to clean up and you'll have to switch to paper towels or newsprint again till they are gone.
    Know where you can find a good reptile vet (maybe you already have one for your corn). Get some stool sample containers so you can have his first stool tested for any worms or internal parasites.
    Keep your new baby away from your other snake until you are ABSOLUTELY sure he is parasite free.... (I speak from experience!!!)

That's all I can think of for now. Good luck finding one you like.

15. sarah.s

sarah.s Member

smiles is bout what I was planning on doing anyway funiture wise and was also going to quaintine, looks like I might be more ready than I thought for my little one. Now I just wait and see what is included in the kit and if its good I go for it I think. One question what exactly are heat panels and where can I find some they might be worth investing in from the sound of them. I am lucky enpugh to have two good reptile vets near me so I dont have that problem I checked that out when I rescused the corn. I also have a spare cobra heat mat that might be of use as the little one gets bigger as these are made to not get to hot and to sit inside enclosures which would prevent burns etc. opinions on best types and brands makes of equipment would be useful.

16. chris7033

chris7033 Elite Member

cobra heat mats are ok...euro rep is good ...http://www.southcoastexotics.com/ i bought from these before the animals are in great condition and prices are not to bad the people there know what they are talking about most or seemed too..be careful in the uk many ball pythons are cf (cative farmed) this is not always great as you may sometimes have unhealthy snakes or non feeders! which is one problem you do not want with your first royal ...ask alot of questions before you buy and you really don't need to pay more than 60 for a baby royal

17. sarah.s

sarah.s Member

thanks for that info chris will look into them as well.

18. sarah.s

sarah.s Member

mm they have mainly captive farmed babies there but they are at least eatting f/t. they do have some captive bred 05's but those are £120 which is a bit behoynd my buget.

19. aiden_punx

aiden_punx Elite Member

in the starter kit i belive is the same as a corn kit tank small size amyb 10gal heat matt hide waterbowl subrat. and snake

20. chris7033

chris7033 Elite Member

yeah a corn snake kit would be fine for a baby bp but with a corn manual maybe you could sell that on ebay :p where in the country are you have you tried prestige herps?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.