This Disappears When Logged In

Ball Python Will Only Eat Fuzzies

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by KhantiMetta, Apr 4, 2016.

1. KhantiMetta

KhantiMetta Active Member

Hello.
    Several weeks ago I purchased a young ball python. I didn't really worry the first few times she refused the mouse I offered her, but I started to get worried after a few weeks. I offered her a fuzzie just to see what would happen and she took it immediately. She is much too big for fuzzies though and I can't afford to keep buying enough fuzzies to feed her. I think it's strange that she won't take a bigger mouse, but hopefully you guys can give me some good advice on how to transition her to bigger mice. Thank you!

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

let her get hungry. Unless she is underweight, she can go a few weeks without food no problem. A healthy adult can go months.

Sometimes, it's a battle of wills.

If you are feeding Frozen/thawed (which I highly recommend, as it is much safer) you can 'scent' a mouse by rubbing her desired prey item on it.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And give us a complete rundown on exactly how you are housing it. And photos might be helpful as well!

4. KhantiMetta

KhantiMetta Active Member

When it comes to a problem, it always gets solved itself right after I ask for help haha. Sorry I am late in updating you guys but the night I posted this I decided to try again and she took the small mouse I offered her right away :) And yes I do feed frozen/thawed. I was only really worried because she is still tiny and just under a foot, but still somewhat thick (Also I have a king and a corn with crazy feed responses, so it's hard to get used to a snake who isn't such an avid feeder lol).
    For now she is in a 20 gallon with 2 hides, heating pad, big water dish, and eco-earth bedding which I mist whenever it gets a bit dry. This is my first ball python so if you guys have any further advice for me I would be very grateful! Thank you! (I don't have pics now but I can upload some later of her in her enclosure.)