This Disappears When Logged In

Ball Python Tank Size Argument

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Buggy0123, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

So i asked a few of my friends (all ball python keepers) as to what sizes they keep their ball pythons in. One has them in a 22 gallon tanks and one has them in a 40 long breeders. I understand that the 40 gallon is obviously a nicer tank, but is it possible to keep them in a 22 gallon? (18x24x12) They both have closely aged snakes (3-4 years)

2. scoot

scoot Active Member

I got mine about three months ago and was told that they don't need to be changed out of their cages much because they're fairly small snakes to begin with, and they prefer closer places? Buddy has remained in his 22 gallon tank for now...

I can't confirm this as correct though, but I know my snake isn't having any problems. He grows slowly and I'm sure if he starts to wear the tank, I'll upgrade it.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

A 22 gal tank is not appropriate for an adult Ball python.

4. scoot

scoot Active Member

Now I know I'll buy a bigger one for him when he grows. I got him as a baby, he's not big yet.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

obviously, bigger is better, but I will also point out that many breeders use a rack system for their ball pythons. The typical tub size for most racks I have seen have more floor space than a 20 gallon, but lack the height (not as important anyhow) but not as much floor space as a 40 breeder.
    racks however have the advantage of making environmental control much simpler than tanks, because they tend to be heated differently.

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I would have to agree that a 22 would be too small for an adult. I keep my adults in racks where the tubs are around 18" ×32" ×5", the 41qt size. Floor space is more important than height.