This Disappears When Logged In

Ball Python Swollen Snout

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by arojas7112, May 14, 2015.

1. arojas7112

arojas7112 Established Member

Hey guys, wanted your opinions. I recently acquired a retired ball python breeder. He's a spider morph with a very bad case of head wobble. I've had issues having him eat since he can't seem to target his food accurately but luckily he's managed. When I acquired him I noticed his snout was a little swollen. I thought maybe he had what some cinnamon's have called duck bill? Not sure if spiders have this same trait? It has not worsened nor has it got better but I started to think it could possibly be mouth rot or disjointed jaw? I've been doing research on the matter but am not sure if he actually has this or not? Can you guys tell from the pictures if he looks abnormal? Or if anyone has ever experienced this? Have researched remedies people claimed to have helped, but don't wanna do anything if nothing is wrong. Thanks guys!

20150211_131256_zpsbviolghr.jpg

20150213_035914_zpsiqrgezdo.jpg

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

OK, looking at the pics, I have no clue for sure, lol. Could be scarring from a previous case of mouth rot, or a very mild current case which may clear itself up. Vet check wouldn't hurt either way. As for the feeding, f/t if possible, and you might want to us tongs to offer, I had a bee that was a notoriously horrid shot, actually got me a couple time when he was excited and missed. I also had to use fresh killed if I didn't have f/t, he usually wouldn't take straight live. Same with my female spider, except her aim is better.

3. arojas7112

I'll take him to the vet just to make sure! I just am not sure if he does have something going on but it can't hurt getting a check up. I've always used f/t because we have pet rats that we love and were rescues from being snake food back when I didn't own any snakes. I currently have a bee that's the same way! Even with tongs, she prefers going for my hand. My female ornate got me the other day when I was tong feeding her and man did I bleed.

4. arojas7112

Thanks for the input!

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Allan, not easy to see but is there swelling on the lower jaw and has the rostral shield gone?
    If there`s infection you absolutely must see a vet (even if it seems a minor one).
    Sorry your V. ornatus bit you, welcome to the club and did you get photos of the "hit"??? ;)

6. arojas7112

Hi Stefan, his whole face seems a bit off. Not just the lower jaw. I setup an appointment for next week. I believe he has his nostril shield but after a quick google search I may still not know what that is? Not a club I'd like to be part of Stefan haha I hopefully don't experience that ever again. Do you mean photos of their "breeding attempt" or photos of my shredded skin?

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The rostral shield is the large scale on the front tip of the snout (top jaw).
    I meant photos of the bite taking place as it happened. I normally advise people to always carry a camera in case it happens (just for my own pleasure you understand)... ;)
    If the female is still not gravid, is it likely it was just domination rather than attempted mating that you witnessed?

8. arojas7112

Yes the ball python still has its rostral shield. If it didn't, what would that be an indication of? From now on, I will carry a camera every time I feed my monitors or snakes if for some reason I get bit, you'll have the pleasure to view it. Female isn't gravid BUT the male tries daily. If I were to check on them right now I will most likely see him mounted on top of her moving his head side to side. He pretty much tries all day (recently) but he doesn't actually use his hemipenis.

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for agreeing to carry a camera with you at all times from now on, that is a HUGE comfort to me (can`t wait for a few "action" shots)...

If the rostral shield had gone it would indicate damage and possibly some infection which might also have explained the swelling in the jaw/s.

I hope that it isn`t just domination rather than attempted breeding, would it be possible to get a short video of the behaviour?

10. arojas7112

Hey...what are friends for! Everyone in my family wishes I didn't own these monitors anymore due to my battle scars. I'll get a video through my girlfriend's phone (better quality) and upload it here to show you!

Darkbird likes this.
  11. arojas7112

Here's a recent picture, he was mounted on top of her moving his head from side to side. My girlfriend crops the pictures to make them look sweet and lovable (at least the male is) but I'll get you a video of them when her schedule and mine correspond!

pollo_zps2nhaef3z.jpg

12. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Cute pic of the little buggers. Well, not so little. Heck, give them their own thread in the monitor section.

arojas7112 likes this.
  13. arojas7112

Haha the male is 4 and a half feet now and growing. When I got him he was almost 3 feet and he was 3 years old at the time. She has grown much faster because we got her at a younger age and gave her appropriate housing conditions much sooner than him. I think she's gonna get bigger than him! I might just do that!

14. arojas7112

Not a very good video, he usually moves his head faster and they put up more of a fight but here's an example of what I see. This is inside one of her lay boxes that was an old vision cage. Allows me to see if there are eggs or not!
    [​IMG]

15. arojas7112