This Disappears When Logged In

Ball Python Substrates

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by Renouji, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Renouji

Renouji Elite Member

So instead of the normal substrate ideas, I was thinking of using the methods on lizard-landscapes to make a Viv for my balls and was wondering if this should be fine for them? and had some questions about a few ideas I had.

I was thinking about the # of hides in the enclosure (which will be 48x30x24) and I came up with a 2 layer bottom, like an under layer that is maybe 2 to 4 recreated borrows for them to hide in. Would this be a good idea? I would make the "Ground" removable so that I can lift it to get to them if needed. and if so how much gap would I have between the borrow floor and the ground layer to give them room in? and how big should they be? I was thinking roughly like 30"x24" each allowing me to put in 2 or maybe 30"x15" allowing about 3?

Also my adult ball like to curl up and sleep in high areas, so I was thinking a "fake tree" on one end with a couple hides inside the trunk, but again I'm not sure what size I should make these hides to be sure the snake has room to be inside and move around a bit to get out, etc.

I will also listen to pros and cons to my ideas, there are probably factors I haven't thought of yet. Considering that I have just barely started making their enclosures, these ideas are still in the "pen & paper" design phase.

If I put this in the wrong forum, I am sorry.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  2. chawk

chawk Banned User

are you talking about the expanding foam?

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just remember the more elaborate the enclosure the more difficult it will be to clean.

The multilevel idea is going to add difficulties as far as heating. An UTH may warm the lower level but you will still need alternate heat for the upper. And because it is enclosed you will need to put a thermostat on your heat source to make sure it doesn't build up too hot in the burrows.
    You will need hides on the cool end as well as the warm end. BP's like their hides tight. They like to be able to touch the sides on three sides when coiled up.

4. categoryfour

categoryfour Well-Known Member

With great stuff expanding foam can you use it to make cool side furniture and background without grouting it? I know it has to be sealed but since snakes don't have claws to rip it up I wouldn't think you'd need to grout it.

5. Renouji

Renouji Elite Member

The grout also adds mass, solidity and strength so the snake can't crush the environment you made.

6. chawk

chawk Banned User

i second that