This Disappears When Logged In

Ball Python Rescue-bad Shed

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Karma Momma, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Karma Momma

Karma Momma Active Member

I know I've been MIA lately and I apologize. My 3 snakes I've had for the past year are doing fantastic, but I rescued a male pastel ball on October 9.

What I was told is that he was bought 4 months ago, escaped, they found him, and they don't want him anymore.

I was asked if I would take him and since I had a proper enclosure and supplies, including food, I was more than happy to.

He is underweight, possibly dehydrated, and in the midst of a bad shed. He has eaten for me and is getting baths to help him complete his shed. His current environment (since Sunday of course) has proper humidity and temperature requirements. Humidity, due to his shed, is around 70%.

Normally, I check the shed for eyecaps. It's something I do with my snakes. However, Nova started his shed before I got him. How can I tell if he shed his eyecaps before I got him?

I named him Nova because when I picked him up from the LPS my friend works at, even in his poor health, he is an absolute sweetheart. It's short for Casanova.

I'll post pics after his shed is complete and he's eaten a few times. Right now, I'm limiting my handling of him to keep his stress level down.

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Ok, first step, take a deep breath and calm down, lol. Second, I honestly wouldn't worry about the eye caps right now, nor would I be doing the baths. Overall the best thing will be to just let him be for a few days in a proper environment, and get him eating. With the right humidity, any stuck shed will if nothing else come off at the next normal shed. The only time it really becomes an issue is if there were several layers of eyecaps, or a section that was constricting an area such as the tail tip.

Edit: you can also do the wet towel and snake in a pillowcase trick for the stuck shed if you feel the need.