This Disappears When Logged In

Ball Python Not Eating and Losing Weight

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Junoc, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Junoc

Junoc Elite Member

Does petco or petsmart sell live hoppers? i can't find them anywhere!! :(

2. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Weight loss seems indicative of parasites, at least from the experience I had (though I guess it wasn't technically MY experience but a friends'). If all else fails, if live rats fail, of everything else fails, and he's still losing weight, take him to the vet and have him checked for internal parasites.

3. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Look around for specialty exotic pet shops, a shop that specializes in reptiles. They usually sell rodents as feeders.

4. Junoc

Junoc Elite Member

I promise, I will try my best to find a live hopper. My local petshop didn't have any. There is a couple of petcos and petsmarts out there that I still need to visit. And I'm not sure if there is a exotic pet shop nearby. How much time do I have left until this issue gets way past just "serious". I'm getting extremely worried..

Should I try a f/t mice today? I switched her into a rack, and there is a chance she felt insecure in the 20g aquarium so I am hoping this works. Should I try a f/t today?

5. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

No. No frozen thawed today. Instead of driving there, call them. It works better. Your best bet is petsmart I think. My petco doesn't keep rodents. I don't know if your near a Jacks pets. I get mine there. Look on craigslist and places like that for breeders. Facebook groups in your area for feeders ppl post them on the reptile list. Just make sure your getting that lump in the tummy.

You have some time but make sure you get one as soon as possible. I wouldn't waste your time with f/t until she's eating normally.

We need to eliminate eating as the cause for weight loss. She's a baby. I've had snakes with parasites and they won't eat at all. You see where were getting. At this point I want her to eat anything.

Where you located? I can check out a few places, help you out.

6. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Petsmarts doesn't carry live, I just called. Get on facebook reptile group and craigslist for your area and check that out.

7. Majora

Majora Elite Member

If your local Petco carries live rodents they will sell the white mice and rats as feeders, the problem is they only carry adult mice/rats. Petsmart won't sell any live rodents as feeders, it's against their policy. I'm not sure of any chain stores that sell live hoppers so you will probably have to find a local reptile/pet store.

8. Junoc

Junoc Elite Member

I live in Fort Lee, New Jersey (the states). I appreciate the help from all of you guys

9. Junoc

Junoc Elite Member

There's also a Pet Goods around.

10. Junoc

Junoc Elite Member

I never used Craigslist. I only know that there was a pet and animal section.

11. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Oh wow. Your right next to New York City. Literally. Your options are endless. Type in rodent breeders in new York city, repptile breeders or stores in new York city, stuff like that. I typed in reptile stores and found a ton of them. Call first though that way your not wasting gas.

12. Junoc

Junoc Elite Member

I found only a few. I'm on my phone right now and I don't have access to the laptop right now. What were some you saw? Can I get links

13. Junoc

Junoc Elite Member

photo (5).JPG

Is he skinny?

14. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

How old is he? Our baby Ball is nearly 4 months old and she weighed 166 grams when we weighed her. Ours actually looks skinnier than your guy and she eats every five days without fail!!

15. Junoc

Junoc Elite Member

I am not sure of his age. I can ask my seller next time. But if you look at his neck area isn't it skinny?

16. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

Ball pythons have skinny necks!! I think all pythons have skinny necks in comparison to their body.

17. Junoc

Junoc Elite Member

He still didn't eat after trying a f/t mice that was dry and heated

18. Junoc

Junoc Elite Member

Can I try assist feeding?

19. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would hold off assist feeding. That is pretty stressful in itself.
    He really doesn't look bad. Young BPs are a little more streamlined than the chunky adults.

20. tombukt2

tombukt2 New Member

i find this utterley fascinating im no snakemon but ive owned a 24 foot burmese in va beach and now have a 3 foot ball . i must def. be weird cuz my snakes always kinda go with me most places .. No i dont really keep a mobile container, In my pocket around my neck etc under coat if cold etc my snakes always been with humans Iris rarely in er cage she seems to always want to be with me she gettin to 4 feet now eats live where ever i feed er in a box her cage etc she dont seem to mind every 5-7 its been 20 yrs since i had nay nay the 24 ft burmese she to went everywhere to the beach etc in the compound on baltic ave wer i had a baby pool (fresh water) an outdoor space wer she could go out with the cat n dog they used to all kinda sleep together. my ball iris likes her space but wakes in am wen i do and imed desires to get up and at em my house is clean n tight she roams all time .. she has 3-4 fav spots to hang out both have/had very special personalities iris tells me wen time to eat at 1 yr she almost 3.5 feet shedding about every 5 feedings or so is any o this Wrong ?? iris always on the move and wants to ride on our scooter a big 16 in wheeled thing with hard bags her spot is in hard bag over n above the exhaust can (warm) bout 93 degrees decent size flat bottom theyres a very small hole in top of bag wer she when riding likes to stik head up n out to watch wer we riding to.. she seems to know difference betwen beach n restaraunt etc kinda funny .. waiting fo her to try n bite my piece o steak off my fork while i eating Lol..