This Disappears When Logged In

Ball Python Hurt on Its Head

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by sally, Aug 17, 2010.

1. sally

sally New Member

So i bought this snake i seen a huge piece of skin on its head off. like it seems as if i can see a white membrane on its head thats about a centimeter long. The snake also looks like it is about to shed as well because its eyes are foggy. i haven't had a snake in a very long time so i dont know what to do or how to clean it. Do you guys have any suggestions?

2. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

yikes! I don't know much about snake injuries but I think people here would agree a picture might help! I know for cleaning wounds you'll want to put him on paper towel substrate and make sure everything is clean and nothing can get into the wound--You can use neosporin(WITHOUT painkiller) to clean the wound

3. sally

sally New Member

The picture is in the attachment

Attached Files:

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Was the snake like this when you got it or did it happen in your care?
    How long have you had the snake and exactly how are you keeping it?

The snake is about to shed but the spot in question is an injury where the skin has been literally torn off! About the only thing you can do now short of a vet trip is to keep the enclosure scrupulously clean as well as the area itself. Put triple antibiotic ointment(WITHOUT painkiller) on the area and watch it closely for signs of infection.

5. Earlington2233

Earlington2233 Elite Member

Just to throw something in there, maybe it could be a burn? The snake could have touched their head on a very hot bulb and caused the skin to tear, but maybe not considering it would have blistered really. Just a suggestion. :D

6. Merlin

It's not a burn. That is a physical injury to the skin.

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

It`s the scales that are missing, the actual skin looks to be still there, as already stated, it needs antibiotic medication, the scales will not return, but the snake shouldn`t suffer any long term problems as long as there`s no infection, or if so, it`s treated properly.

8. sally

sally New Member

the snake was like that when i got it.
    i have only had the snake for a couple days

9. sally

sally New Member

Actually i took it in to my local reptile store and they took a look at him, they believe it to be a burn due to a heatrock (which i already took out) that the previous owner had in there, and the told me to put neosporin on it's injury.

10. Merlin

Taking an injured animal to the petshop for a diagnosis is like you going to MacDonalds for a stomach ache.
    Pretty much worthless.
    I have seen a lot of animals with thermal burns and it doesn't look like that. Burns tend to look more discolored. That looks more like a peice of the skin is actually gone.

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I agree with Merlin, it would be very unusual if a burn resulted in scales being removed like that, you really need to take the snake to a vet if there`s no improvement at this time, which is now 5 days since this was posted.